Venice to Chur via Bernina Express

Venice to Chur via Bernina Express

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
bhende19
bhende19
8 posts
Apr 10, 2018 - 7:00 PM

Seems like this should be an easy thing to plan - but - I am not able to figure it out. SO asking for some pointers ---

Depart Venice - May 17 early morning to Tirano (i guess this is the route) and the Bernina Express (going through St Mortiz if possible) and continuing on Chur, CH.

Questions -

where to find the schedules?

Where to buy the tickets -

Will a rail pass be usesful on this route?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 10, 2018 - 7:27 PM in reply to bhende19

Hi bhende19, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. Please use the Swiss rail timetable: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Put Tirano in the via box. The Bernina Express is denoted as BEX.
  2. You can buy tickets online: www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/tickets.
  3. Depends on what your full itinerary is. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”.
rockoyster
rockoyster
3697 posts
expert
Apr 10, 2018 - 10:18 PM in reply to bhende19

The Bernina Express Tirano to Chur does not go via St Moritz.

See timetable at www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info

You need to make reservations for seats. Use that same link to book.

Last modified on Apr 10, 2018 - 10:18 PM by rockoyster
dheerajs
dheerajs
2 posts
Apr 11, 2018 - 6:57 AM

Hi There

I saw this post and was looking for a connection to Tirano from Milan. what do you suggest as the quickest mode to get from Milan to Tirano? I am with family and luggage so do not wish to go over many changes/connections. Also as we have to go to Zurich from Chur - we would like to avoid the scenic ride (is it approx 4-5 hrs) from Lugano - Tirano. kindly advise appropriately

So there is just one direct BEX from Tirano @ 14:25 reaching Chur @18:20, which operates daily

thanks to advise

warmest regards

rockoyster
rockoyster
3697 posts
expert
Apr 11, 2018 - 7:04 AM in reply to dheerajs

There is an Italian train from Milan to Tirano. You don't need to go via Lugano. The BEX from Tirano to Chur departs 14:25. That's correct.

Have you read www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy?

bhende19
bhende19
8 posts
Apr 11, 2018 - 5:43 PM

I am still confused -- using the time table - Venice to Chur via Tirano is showing 48 hours and 11 connections -- is there not a faster way? I willing to take bus as well as train

PS thanks to all who have offered posts to assist and educate

Arno
Arno
10751 posts
expert &
Apr 11, 2018 - 6:20 PM in reply to bhende19

Hi Bhende19,

I'm not sure how it would show a travel time of 2 days. It's 9 to 11 hours for the route you want. You should get the correct options if you fill out the Swiss timetable mentioned above like shown in the attachment.

Please login to see the attached documents

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018