Venice-Wengen with Regional Pass Bernese Oberland

• mdorner
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 September 2022 at 5:23:09 #828280

Hello,

We, six adults, will be traveling via train from Venice to Wengen next April. We will have the BO Travel Pass since we will be staying in Wengen for four days and traveling within the BO region exclusively, visiting the Schilthorn and Jungfrau, except for our arrival and departure days.

I will purchase our ticket for the Venice to Brig leg of the journey. Once in Brig do we just board the next available train to Wengen, via Spiez, with no pre-purchase? And for our departure can we do the same and board the train to Freiburg with no pre-purchase? I will have an onward ticket from Freiburg to Colmar.

We have been to the BO twice so are familiar with what we want to see and do. I am just a little nervous about showing up in Brig with six adults and luggage without a guaranteed ticket onward to Wengen.

Thank you, Michele

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2022 at 15:21:45 #946566

Hi Michele and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

At http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity, you can check the validity map of the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland.

Coming from Venice, you’ll cross the border at Domodolossa. Your pass will be valid from Brig, that is right. You do not have to get off the train, you can stay and travel further if your train travels towards Spiez.

Note, that the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland is not valid in Freiburg. You can travel to Bern for free with your pass then you have to get a ticket from Bern to Freiburg.

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading these:

Trains between France and Switzerland

Day trains between Italy and Switzerland

mdorner
    Participant
    4 posts
    7 September 2022 at 18:05:30 #946567

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 14:07:41 #946568

The Regional pass BO is not valid via the Lotschberg base tunnel (which is used by some direct trains Milano – Visp – Bern). To travel ‘free’ on the RPBO you must be on the BLS train that travels over the old mountain route Brig – Spiez via Kandersteg

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 14:12:43 #946569

Can you explain you plan for travelling Berner Oberland – Freiburg – Colmar. Freiburg (Germany) is on the opposite side of the river Rhine from Colmar (France) with poor connections between the two.

If you are travelling to Colmar you would travel Bern – Basel – Mulhouse – Colmar (changing from Swiss railways to French railways at Basel SBB)

In any case, the RPBO will only get you as far as Bern. North of there you will need a separate ticket

mdorner
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 September 2022 at 20:02:31 #946570

Thank you 1960man. We will go through Brig and Spiez and will be aware to not book through the tunnel for that ticket.

I was mistaken about Freiburg. We will be traveling Wengen to Bern on the BO Regional Pass and then continue with a ticket through Basel to Colmar.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2022 at 23:21:38 #946571

If your BO pass is valid on the day you arrive at Brig, then you will not have to ‘book’ anything, just get on the BLS train that runs Brig – Goppenstein – Kandersteg – Frutigen – Spiez. These trains depart Brig every hour at xx.34 or xx.36

mdorner
    Participant
    4 posts
    9 September 2022 at 18:35:20 #946572

Thank you so much 1960man….this is such great info!! I appreciate your help!

• The thread ‘Venice-Wengen with Regional Pass Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.