Very confused, which rail pass is better?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2015 at 7:51:29 #807555

Hi there,

I’m going from Interlaken to Jungfrau ( Interlaken – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen), hike to Monchjoch, and then back to interlaken (via Grindelwald, as advised). I’m also going to take boat to Lake Thun after that.

With this itinerary, I don’t know should i buy the Swiss Flexi pass (because I’m also going to Lucerne (Titlis and Pilatus, if i have time), and then Zurich to fly back to Singapore) or the Bernese Oberland pass? Since the journey from Interlaken to Jungfrau requires multiple train rides.

I also can’t seem to find the average price for both cards, or how much do i have to pay (for the Interlaken-Jungfrau-Interlaken-Thun) with both passes so I can compare.

Will appreciate it very much if you can help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    14 July 2015 at 19:18:24 #844473

Welcome to MySwissAlps, devina, and thanks for posting here!

Which pass is best for your itinerary depends on many details. For example: how long will your stays in Interlaken and Lucerne last? Where will you be entering the country before heading for Interlaken? This guide may help you out in choosing the most economical option.

Some very general advice: the Swiss Half Fare Card may be a good option for you. A combination of regional passes might work too, but that depends on how long you plan to stay in Interlaken and Lucerne. A Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is worth it if you stay there at least 4 days, as that’s its minimum validity period, and plan to use local public transportation intensively. If that’s the case, you could combine this with a Tell Pass for Lucerne.

Each of our pass pages has a Price section, allowing you to review prices of the passes and compare resellers. The Validity section contains a downloadable map, that shows the amount of discount for each trip.

Regular prices can be found at the websites of the respective attractions, for example the Jungfrau Railways website and the BLS website (the company organising boat tours over Lake Thun). We also mention such links on our own pages; see our Jungfraujoch and Lake Thun pages for example.

Does this get you started?

• The thread ‘Very confused, which rail pass is better?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.