Vevey to Lucerne with stop at First possible?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 19:19:23 #814753

I will be traveling with my granddaughter from Vevey to Lucerne on her last full day in Switzerland. I have wanted to take the Golden Pass route via Zweissman, but do not see anything listed on the timetable for this. The trip takes approximately 5 1/2 hours via this route- almost 2 1/2 hours more than other routes. Will the scenery be worth the extra time traveling this direction or would time be better spent enjoying Lucerne for the afternoon? Also, I am wondering if we would have time to take a trip up to First and enjoy some of the activities. It appears that we might only have about 3-4 hours to spend there before going on to Lucerne and of course, we would then not have much time in Lucerne. This is my first trip to Switzerland and I will be spending 5 days in Wengen a few days after the trip to Lucerne, but again, my granddaughter will be heading home. Thanks for your help- I really enjoy reading the forum and it has helped greatly in planning our trip!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 March 2018 at 21:38:27 #878731

Think you may be trying to jam a little too much in. See attached showing 7 hours 20 min travel time only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 21:44:59 #878732

Thanks, Rockoyster. That was what I thought, but was hopeful that others thought differently. What about the train ride from Vevey to Lucerne? Is the scenery as spectacular going that direction, as it is into Montreux from Lucerne? Should we take the shorter route and have more time in Lucerne?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 March 2018 at 22:08:50 #878733

I would say the fastest (3 hour) route would not compare scenery-wise. But you could get to Lucerne in time to do Pilatus for example. Or GPL and drop Grindelwald. Your call.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 22:10:06 #878734

Thanks, again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 1:11:05 #878735

>> What about the train ride from Vevey to Lucerne? Is the scenery as spectacular going that direction, as it is into Montreux from Lucerne?

Via which route? Via Lausanne or Lausanne-Olten? Via Puidoux-Chexbres and Palézieux?

The fastest routes for getting around in Switzerland (generally speaking) are fast because they go through the flatter parts of the country and/or take valley and tunnel routes, which is great for commuters.

However, if you are a tourist, you miss out on so much by choosing the fast routes over longer, more scenic ones. Scenic routes tackle the mountains and transport you through stunning scenery instead of zooming underneath it in a tunnel or detouring through the flatter parts of the country to avoid the mountains.

The route from Vevey to Luzern via Lausanne or Lausanne-Olten does not have much to recommend it in my opinion, and certainly can’t compare with beauty of the Golden Pass route. You do, however, have a short scenic section between Vevey and Lausanne, as you travel along Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) and past the Lavaux Terrace vineyards. However, if this is a winter trip, the vineyards do not look their best in winter, as the vines are bare.

The route via Puidoux-Chexbres and Palézieux starts off with a lovely trip climbing up through the vineyards, but that is a very short section, and the rest of the trip is nothing special in my view: that is, compared with what other routes have to offer.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:31:10 #878736

Thanks Alpenrose666 for your input! My thoughts are that we will take the scenic route and possibly spend the night in Grindelwald before going on to Lucerne. So excited about our time in Switzerland!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    14 March 2018 at 22:30:40 #878737

<< However, if this is a winter trip, the vineyards do not look their best in winter, as the vines are bare. >>

Unless you happen to be going through the Lavaux when the vinyards have been covered with some snow ! See attached image.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 23:29:41 #878738

>> Unless you happen to be going through the Lavaux when the vinyards have been covered with some snow

Oh yes, that is indeed beautiful!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Vevey to Lucerne with stop at First possible?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.