Via Ferrata Murren report: go for it!

• Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    30 September 2019 at 18:00:03 #824038

WHAT A THRILL!

I was intrigued by the Via Ferrara Murren and decided to go for it on Sept. 15 during our stay in Murren.

Via Ferrata means iron path, a protected climbing route with established metal rungs and a cable wire. It’s also known as Klettersteig.

This was the most adrenaline-filled 3 hours I’ve ever had: up, down, hovering, climbing, dangling with a harness and carabiners for the first time.

The route down to Gimmelwald includes a zip line, tightrope, suspension bridge, ladders and numerous metal rungs often hanging out of the rock wall into space.

You are attached to a metal cable nearly the entire way. The biggest challenge for me (a very active 59-year-old) were the occasional high steps or drops where my short legs struggled to find purchase.

Tours with equipment (harness, carabiners, helmet, gloves if needed) costs $135 and are offered twice a day with 8 people max. You can sign up at the Murren sports shops or Alpine center. The guide does not take pictures but I stopped often to do so, getting scolded once when we first started out! You can do this yourself, if able, but there are portions you cannot do unguided, like the zipline.

Now, a few weeks later, reviewing the pictures/videos brings a huge smile to my face, and makes my heart race, just a little–BOY, that Nepal suspension bridge was high up! Over a 1310 feet ravine! Gulp.

If you’re fit and like fun adventures, add this to your list!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 September 2019 at 18:12:51 #922918

Hello Meemskirk,

WOOOOOOW, what a spectacular walk you decided to go for in Murren, I’m truly impressed!!! 🙂

Thanks a million for these incredible photos and details about the tour, I’m sure lots of travellers will be inspired to give it a try, maybe not me, though! 😉

Kind regards,
    Steph

Meemskirk
    Participant
    84 posts
    30 September 2019 at 20:23:39 #922919

Thanks Steph. And then I went paragliding the next day…!!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    1 October 2019 at 22:24:30 #922920

Wahnnnnnsin! Memories of a lifetime!

• The thread ‘Via Ferrata Murren report: go for it!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.