Visa debit card acceptance in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 December 2018 at 9:59:18 #819075

Hi,

As me and my wife will be traveling to 3 different countries (switzerland/italy/norway) this month end and we want to avoid carrying too much cash (3 different currencies) with us, we are thinking of splitting 50% cash and 50% into our debit card (which supports these 3 local currency).

Can I ask how is the Visa debit card acceptance in Switzerland? Besides restaurants, does local transportation + attractions accept Visa debit cards?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2018 at 9:21:40 #899809

Hi Keeptouch,

I’ve never had/used a Visa debit card so I can’t say for sure. My understanding is they are accepted the same as a regular debit or credit card. So they would normally work if a shop accepts credit/debit cards.

Buying transportation tickets is usually fine with cards so it shouldn’t be an issue. Perhaps another member will chime in with direct experience for you.

If anything, I’d keep a little more Swiss Franc then Euro or Norwegian Krone on you (Norway and Scandinavian countries especially have gone all in on accepting bank cards over cash). But Switzerland isn’t quite there yet and you’ll find many smaller stores accept Swiss Franc only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2018 at 1:00:34 #899810

I use a Visa debit most of the time in Switzerland. In shops, using railway ticket machines and in restaurants

There was a time a few years ago when Mastercard was accepted much more readily than Visa, but that isn’t true anymore.

• The thread ‘Visa debit card acceptance in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.