Is October too cold to visit Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 11:25:43 #817852

Hello,

Wish to visit Switzerland for a holiday from 9th October to 19th October. Will it be too cold to visit?

What are the places we can cover or do you suggest? We are 3 adults and 2 children boys 8 & 10.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 August 2018 at 14:02:30 #894097

Hello AvantiMJ, welcome to MySwissAlps!

October won’t be too cold. I don’t think any season is too cold to visit, but it depends on what you want to do and which temperatures you find pleasant. Please find more information here:

Which places to cover depends on your interests and travel style (slow paced or full days). Please start on the below pages and post your tentative itinerary and further question here, so we can assist you.

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    14 August 2018 at 14:32:05 #894098

I was in Switzerland last mid-October and found the weather pleasant, only had a windbreaker (and a fleece in case I needed it, but rarely used it). At Kleine Scheidegg they had the first snow fall, an inch or so – the shopkeepers kept saying how early it had come. Even then, I did not need “winter” clothes: http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/clothing/winter. And the snow was mostly gone by late morning.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2018 at 4:49:06 #894099

Hello pvonk,

Thank you for that information re weather in October as I was wondering the exact same thing. We are in Switzerland October 10th till 31st and was hoping that jeans , shirt/top and jumper would suffice, apart for our sight seeing trips up the mountains. The disadvantage of course is that several of the ‘scenic’ trains are out of service (Glacier Express & Gotthard Express) from October 14th, so Im working my way around those routes with reg trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2018 at 6:18:41 #894100

Hi Carrie,

We note how to cover those scenic routes by regular train (and combine parts of them if wanted) on our information pages here:

• The thread ‘Is October too cold to visit Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.