Switzerland in October - itinerary advice 7 days

Switzerland in October - itinerary advice 7 days

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
traveller17
traveller17
21 posts
Oct 13, 2017 - 9:54 AM

Hello everyone,

I will have 7 days 6 nights in Switzerland from Oct 15 .Could you please review my travel plan and write your comments ?

Oct-15 I will arrive in Milano Malpensa and then go to Lugano with express bus and leave my luggage on train station and go aroun the city (and Ascona maybe) I am not sure should I stay in 1 night in Lugano or go to Luzern directly ?

FromLugano to Luzern (should I use or Gotthard Bernina or normal train express or normal - which is the panoramic and fast )

16-19 Oct : 3 days Luzern : Visit Old city , Luzern lake , Rigi or Pilatus.. (also Rheinfall , Stein Am Rhein... ) From Luzern to thun with Golden with my Pass with my buggage .

19-21 Oct : 2 days- Thun : VisitThun ,,Grindelwald , Bern. Should I visit to Wengen, Jungfrausch ,Zermatt ?

21 - go to Zurich , leav buggae and day trip and afternoon departure from Zurich to Ist.

Do you have any advises please ?

Thanks and kind regards

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2017 - 4:53 PM in reply to traveller17

Hi traveller17 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You have mixed up the two panoramic trains. From Lugano you can take the Gotthard Panorama Express to Luzern. The Bernina Express goes to Chur via Tirano.

16-19 Oct: I would try and do Stein Am Rhein and the RheinFalls from Zurich - it is much closer.

19-21 Oct: I would focus on things to see around Thun. This means Grindelwald, Wengen and/or Jungfraujoch. Bern is a close to 2 hours away and Zermatt is close to 3 hours away.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips and help you decide what you think you have time for each day.

As for a rail pass, I would look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass as the simplest and easiest option for your 7 day trip.

traveller17
traveller17
21 posts
Oct 13, 2017 - 5:36 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you for comments Lucas

When going from Lugano to Luzern, if I prefer Gotthard, can I hop of in any place to make the time shorter since it takes more than 5 hrs ?

What is the best part of that express? Is it worth try?

You said you would try Rheinfald...You would not select Luzern mountains like Rigi,...right ?

In Thun, you would prefer Zermatt ? Right?

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Oct 14, 2017 - 6:03 AM in reply to traveller17

One option would be to only take the Gotthard Panorama Express train until Fluelen - where you normally take a boat on to Luzern. From here you can take a regional train to save some time.

You can also take regional trains for the whole route or just part of the route. This option is described on our Gotthard Panorama Express route page here.

I would think this train trip is worth it yes (either on the panorama train itself or the regional train). You must make a reservation on the panoramic train however.

I said if you visit the RheinFall do it when you are staying in Zurich - not Luzern as it is much closer. :)

I would definitely visit one of the mountains near Luzern yes. Either Mt. Rigi, Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus.

traveller17
traveller17
21 posts
Oct 17, 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hello

I am in Luzern. I would like to see some small villages. (Maybe mountain villages with cow:)). Could you recommend some beatiful villages please?

Thanks

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Oct 18, 2017 - 6:28 AM in reply to traveller17

Hi traveller17,

There has been some good replies on your other post here!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017