Switzerland in October – itinerary advice 7 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2017 at 9:54:56 #813495

Hello everyone,

I will have 7 days 6 nights in Switzerland from Oct 15 .Could you please review my travel plan and write your comments ?

Oct-15 I will arrive in Milano Malpensa and then go to Lugano with express bus and leave my luggage on train station and go aroun the city (and Ascona maybe) I am not sure should I stay in 1 night in Lugano or go to Luzern directly ?

FromLugano to Luzern (should I use or Gotthard Bernina or normal train express or normal – which is the panoramic and fast )

16-19 Oct : 3 days Luzern : Visit Old city , Luzern lake , Rigi or Pilatus.. (also Rheinfall , Stein Am Rhein… ) From Luzern to thun with Golden with my Pass with my buggage .

19-21 Oct : 2 days- Thun : VisitThun ,,Grindelwald , Bern. Should I visit to Wengen, Jungfrausch ,Zermatt ?

21 – go to Zurich , leav buggae and day trip and afternoon departure from Zurich to Ist.

Do you have any advises please ?

Thanks and kind regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2017 at 16:53:51 #870889

Hi traveller17 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You have mixed up the two panoramic trains. From Lugano you can take the Gotthard Panorama Express to Luzern. The Bernina Express goes to Chur via Tirano.

16-19 Oct: I would try and do Stein Am Rhein and the RheinFalls from Zurich – it is much closer.

19-21 Oct: I would focus on things to see around Thun. This means Grindelwald, Wengen and/or Jungfraujoch. Bern is a close to 2 hours away and Zermatt is close to 3 hours away.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips and help you decide what you think you have time for each day.

As for a rail pass, I would look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass as the simplest and easiest option for your 7 day trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2017 at 17:36:04 #870890

Thank you for comments Lucas

When going from Lugano to Luzern, if I prefer Gotthard, can I hop of in any place to make the time shorter since it takes more than 5 hrs ?

What is the best part of that express? Is it worth try?

You said you would try Rheinfald…You would not select Luzern mountains like Rigi,…right ?

In Thun, you would prefer Zermatt ? Right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2017 at 6:03:51 #870891

One option would be to only take the Gotthard Panorama Express train until Fluelen – where you normally take a boat on to Luzern. From here you can take a regional train to save some time.

You can also take regional trains for the whole route or just part of the route. This option is described on our Gotthard Panorama Express route page here.

I would think this train trip is worth it yes (either on the panorama train itself or the regional train). You must make a reservation on the panoramic train however.

I said if you visit the RheinFall do it when you are staying in Zurich – not Luzern as it is much closer. 🙂

I would definitely visit one of the mountains near Luzern yes. Either Mt. Rigi, Mt. Titlis or Mt. Pilatus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2017 at 22:51:53 #870892

Hello

I am in Luzern. I would like to see some small villages. (Maybe mountain villages with cow:)). Could you recommend some beatiful villages please?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2017 at 6:28:04 #870893

Hi traveller17,

There has been some good replies on your other post here!

• The thread ‘Switzerland in October – itinerary advice 7 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.