Visit Zermatt and Jungfrau region from Oct 2nd-9th

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 15:50:29 #813008

We plan to visit Zermatt/Matterhorn and Jungfrau region in 1st week of Oct.Please advise:What will be the weather conditions ,will it be snowing in Zermatt,?What type of warm clothing and type of shoe to wear especially Zermatt.

We will fly from London to Zurich ,stay overnight and proceed to Zermatt by train for 2 nights before moving to Interlaken and Lucerne for 2 nights in each location.Later will depart to Paris from Lucerne by trains.Pls advise is the itinerary in the right sequence in term of travel by train?Would it be advisable to purchase the 8 days Swiss Travel Pass? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    19 August 2017 at 17:07:30 #868605

Hi Kevintai, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The weather can really be anything: pleasant and sunny with chilly evenings, or rain, or cold. It will be cold as you visit peaks, so the best clothing to pack is multiple thinner layers. That allows you to adapt easily. It is unlikely to snow in Zermatt, but there will be snow on the peaks. If you go hiking you will need hiking shoes. For other types of sightseeing any sturdy shoe will work. Please see:

The order of your plan is fine; you may save a little time by visiting Zermatt last, so ZurichLucerneInterlakenZermatt. That’s the order I’d prefer, also in terms of the scenery getting more dramatic.

Considering your itinerary the Swiss Travel Pass is most probably the cheapest and certainly the most convenient option. Alternatively you can look into the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2017 at 1:29:54 #868606

Hi Arno=

Once we are talking about October, and advancing winter weather, I wonder if it would be wiser to start in the high Alpine regions, and finish in Luzern. I’m not really sure what to expect at that time around the Jungfrau except that Winter is approaching. Perhaps my concerns are excessive, because I am thinking about high altitude trails….

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 2:31:09 #868607

Thank you to both Arno and Slowpoke for your prompt response that will hep us to plan our trip.Just one more concern, just read the link on Best time to visit it mentions that Oct ,a low season,,perhaps certain cable cars and cogwheel trains may be closed for maintenance! Are we able to check their maintenance schedule now as we would to experience train rides to Cornergratbahn and Matterhorn express in Zernatt ,3-5th Oct and visit Jungfraujoch during our stay at Interlaken,5th-6th Oct.Thank You!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 7:53:52 #868608

Hi kevintai,

The Gornergrat railway operates year-round. You can find the timetable for the train on their website and you can find a link to their website here. They switch from the summer schedule to Autumn schedule on Oct.16, 2017.

By the Matterhorn Express I think you mean the trip to Klein Matterhorn and you can find their timetable on our web page above.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 9:46:29 #868609

Thank you Lucas for your prompt response and the useful link for the time table.Have a good day !

• The thread ‘Visit Zermatt and Jungfrau region from Oct 2nd-9th’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.