Visiting Rigi from Lucerne, how to plan?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 18:34:57 #815216

I would like to visit Mount Rigi while staying in Lucerne and I have read the posts explaining the different modes of transportation needed, however, I am unclear if I need to purchase this as a package ie.”Rigi Majestic Round Trip” or if I just buy individual tickets? If I do buy individual tickets, where to I find pricing for the boat and cable car portions of the trip?

I was thinking that I would be buying a half fare card to use during my travels, is this applicable to the package pricing?

Any help navigating this would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:43:00 #881547

Hi sinsf2018,

You can just buy one ticket for the whole route and use the Swiss Half Fare Card to get your discount.

The “Majestic Round-trip” (boat from Lucerne to Vitznau & cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm then the train to Arth-Goldau and change to Lucerne) isn’t a package really as much as a marketing term I think….but tours I’m sure sell this as a package as well.

On the timetable you can enter Luzern to Rigi Via Vitznauand that will give you a ticket price and schedule for the boat to Vitznau and then the train to Rigi. You can then buy a ticket for the return in the same manner.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 0:08:56 #881548

I have a related question– I am hoping to do this same trip when we visit in June. I have Swiss rail passes for all of the members of my family. Do I need to reserve tickets in advance, or can we just show up to boats, cogwheel trains, etc.? I hope it’s okay to piggyback on sinsf2018’s post

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 0:24:45 #881549

You don’t need any reservations.

Tickets can be bought on demand. If in doubt just ask at the tourist office / railway booking office / your accomodation

June is less busy than July / August

• The thread ‘Visiting Rigi from Lucerne, how to plan?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.