Visiting Rochers-de-Naye in evening in May

• Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    27 November 2019 at 11:33:18 #824553

I might visit Switzerland from 12-20.05.2020

I have planned to leave Interlaken around 1300 hrs on 19.05.2020 and by 1420 hrs, i will be in Zweisimmen and might change there to train departing at 1425 hrs for Montreux, which will arrive Montreux on 1612 hrs and will catch train here at 1617 for Rochers-de-Naye and will reach here at around 1700 hrs.

Then after visit of Rochers-de-Naye, back to geneva by train(via Montreux) for night stay.

Is it worth going to Rochers-de-Naye at around 1700 hrs in mid may?

Any suggestions please.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 November 2019 at 20:37:46 #925707

Yes, if the weather is favourable (see http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/luggage-on-train-to-rochers-de-naye). The last train down from RdN is 18:11.

You have asked a lot of diverse questions over the past several months, Malang. You are obviously putting a lot of effort into planning your May trip. Would you care to share what your overall itinerary looks like so we can consider your questions in that context?

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    28 November 2019 at 6:16:53 #925708

Thanks Rockoyster for nice suggestion again:

My planned Itinerary is as below:

12th May: Arrival in Zurich, visit of Rhine falls, Limmat rivr and Lake Zurich small round trip(ZVV 9 o clock pass)

13th May: Bernina express trip and back to Zurich (Savers Day Pass)

14th May: Arrival in Lucerne, Mt. Pilatus golden round trip, Lucerne city sightseeing (SHFC)

15th May: Mt Titlis excursion (SHFC)

16th May: Mt Rigi trip, travel upto Brienze by train (with luggage), from Brienz to Interlaken by cruise, Bern trip from Interlaken (after check-in) (Savers Day Pass)

17th May: Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald Trip (SHFC)

18th May: Oberhofen castle visit, Lake Thun Visit, Lauterbrunnen, Murren Visit, Harder kulm Excursion (SHFC)

19th May: Departure from Interlaken, visit of Spiez in morning, travel upto Geneva by train (via Zweisimmen, Montreux, RdN).

20th May: visit of Geneva in Morning and Departure to Paris on 14:29 train.

I hope above clarifies and it may kindly be noted that every question I asked in one or the other forum of this beautiful website is/was relevant to my planned itinerary.

Thanks for all your beautiful suggestions so far.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2019 at 6:49:03 #925709

Thanks, That puts it all in context. I wasn’t doubting the relevance of your questions but it is far easier to answer if I understand your overall plan.

You sure like to fill your days. 16 May looks particularly ambitious to me but then I am a “slow” traveller.

I posted some photos of Lake Thun at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/a-week-in-thun and will be adding some for Montreux and RdN in the next few days. You may like to follow along there.

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    28 November 2019 at 7:02:45 #925710

Thanks for guidance again.

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    28 November 2019 at 7:21:06 #925711

Actually I have tried to make maximum use of Savers Day Pass on 16.05.2020 and I have planned to start day with Mt Rigi excursion (free with SDP, I suppose) at 7:00 am start from Lucerne(via train, Bus via Kussnacht up to Weggis and back to lucerne by on 12:00 noon through Lake Lucerne cruise via Vitznau). As first cruise in direction of Weggis/Vitznau, will start from Lucerne after 08:20 am, I suppose, as per Lake Lucerne Fahrplan of May 2020.

As far as Bern visit is concerned, if We feel exhausted in 16.05.2020 evening then we will switch the plan with that of 18.05.2020 which means we will do Lake thun cruise and harder kulm on 16.05.2020 and Bern visit will then be scheduled on 18.05.2020(post lunch).

Suggestions, if any, will be warmly welcomed.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2019 at 7:45:58 #925712

My only advice is to do what you think is a good idea and you are comfortable with and be flexible and be guided by the weather. It is the one thing we can’t control.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2019 at 10:07:10 #925713

Another thought . . . .

.. . . have you considered taking a train from Luzern to Arth Goldhau (the brand new Voralpen Express will be running by then) and from there to Rigi Kulm. Then to Rigi Kaltbad, cableway to Weggis and boat back to Luzern? My recollection is that the scenery on the train on the way up was better on the north side of Rigi and on the way down got a bit boring below Rigi Kaltbad. Perhaps sensory overload had set in but it’s something to consider.

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    28 November 2019 at 10:14:36 #925714

Yes, it sounds better to move via Arth Goldau but what you mean is scenery will be better if we go through route Luzerne–> Arth Goldau–> Rigi kulm.

Is it so?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 November 2019 at 19:46:17 #925715

This is just a personal opinion. I found the scenery on the way up from Arth Goldhau more interesting than the train down to Vitznau below Rigi Kaltbad where you seem to spend a lot of time in amongst trees with not much of a view.

Between Luzern and Arth Goldhau on the train is not comparable to the boat trip from Weggis to Luzern. Though both are worth doing.

Anna
    6274 posts
    29 November 2019 at 6:24:09 #925716

Hi Malang,

Thanks for sharing your itinerary. It helps to see big picture 🙂 I think the itinerary is doable. And it’s good that you are flexible and able to adapt your plans based on the weather and personal factors.

For more information about the Voralpen Express which rockoyster suggested: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-voralpen-express-trains-from-december-2019

Indeed if you have the Saver Day Pass, you will not need additional tickets to Rigi. Information on Saver Day Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

Regards,

Anna

Malang85
    Participant
    45 posts
    29 November 2019 at 6:45:51 #925717

Thanks Anna and Rockoyster for your nice suggestions but I have no idea about Voralpen Express.I normally tried on google map/SBB website for train between Luzerne and arth goldau around 07:00 am in morning and it shows trains on 07:00 am and 07:18 leaving Lucerne and arriving arth goldau in 35 minutes i.e. 07:41 and 07:53 am respectively.

Voralpen express is different train or it’s faster or reservations are mandatory in it or it adopts different route but more beautiful scenery? Can you please elaborate more on this?

Actually, I have planned Mt Rigi Excursion in such a way to leave Lucerne latest by 07:00-07:20 am and to return to Lucerne by 12:00 noon(after rigi excursion), to check out from Hotel in Lucerne and to proceed further for Brienz-Interlaken on same day.

One more thing, last night I confirmed with Mt. Pilatus chat experts that Mt. Pilatus Golden Round Trip (cogwheel train upto Pilatus kulm) will be operational on 14.05.2020 & 15.05.2020(just sharing)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2019 at 7:14:58 #925718

Te Voralpen Express is a direct train between Lucerne and St Gallen. It stops at Arth Goldhau along the way. It’s a nice new modern train. It’s just a regular train and does not require reservations.

I believe the 1st departure in the morning from Luzern is 7:39. Which means you would miss the first train to Rigi Kulm so give it a miss if you want an early start.

I am glad the Pilatus experts are so confident about what the weather conditions will be like in May this year.

• The thread ‘Visiting Rochers-de-Naye in evening in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.