Visiting small towns in Bern region

Visiting small towns in Bern region

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
davismavis3
davismavis3
18 posts
Jan 5, 2018 - 1:14 PM in reply to Removed user

Good suggestions! I asked her on the way to school and she was like "SURE!" so if we can do a half day up and lunch I'll look into it. Thank you!

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4727 posts
expert
Jan 5, 2018 - 1:52 PM in reply to Removed user

Hi Alpenrose

6 pictures are worth a a thousand words. ;-)

I also posted a couple of Wengen earlier in the thread.

It has been my exprience that teenagers get tired of scenery quickly. But, that scenery is hardly ordinary, and it has the countervailing factor of food and shopping close at hand. I'd be surprised if Wengen fits the image of "rural" as it is experienced in Missouri.

;-)

Do you think that your original suggestion of Thun would qualify as a city? Eight trains per hour to Bern, with the ones at xx04, xx33, xx36, and xx59 taking from 18 to 21 minutes.

And, as you note, one hour and 25 or 26 minutes to Wengen, on 2 trains per hour at xx54 and xx23.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4727 posts
expert
Jan 6, 2018 - 9:43 PM in reply to davismavis3

Hi Davismavis-

<<"and then have to visit a city of some place to shop, tour, eat lunch, etc. I am open to suggestions. Do you suggest something in close proximity that would make a good quick trip up and back?">>

Alpenrose illustrated that good suggestion -Wengen - with pictures.

Isn't Missouri the "Show Me" state? ;-)

There are plenty of places to eat and shop. Wengen is a very sophisticated village.

However, the original suggestion of Thun makes good sense, too.

The older part of town near the railroad station is quite attractive, and the stores along the river walk are varied and nice, as well.

www.myswissalps.com/th un

Plenty of places to eat. If the weather is nice, outdoors on the terrace of the very nice 4 star Hotel Freienhof, by the river, is very pleasant..

www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/hotels/stchotel-11469.html

www.freienhof.ch/hotel -thun/en/

Slowpoke

PS - my daughter lives in Omaha, and my family...originally from northern Germany, near Bremen - immigrated to the St. Louis, Mo. area in the 19th century. Even the Ozarks, nice as they are, are not as impressive as the mountains around the Jungfrau.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018