Visiting small towns in Bern region

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 January 2018 at 13:14:24 #873433

Good suggestions! I asked her on the way to school and she was like “SURE!” so if we can do a half day up and lunch I’ll look into it. Thank you!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 January 2018 at 13:52:21 #873434

Hi Alpenrose

6 pictures are worth a a thousand words. 😉

I also posted a couple of Wengen earlier in the thread.

It has been my exprience that teenagers get tired of scenery quickly. But, that scenery is hardly ordinary, and it has the countervailing factor of food and shopping close at hand. I’d be surprised if Wengen fits the image of “rural” as it is experienced in Missouri.

😉

Do you think that your original suggestion of Thun would qualify as a city? Eight trains per hour to Bern, with the ones at xx04, xx33, xx36, and xx59 taking from 18 to 21 minutes.

And, as you note, one hour and 25 or 26 minutes to Wengen, on 2 trains per hour at xx54 and xx23.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 January 2018 at 21:43:04 #873435

Hi Davismavis-

<<“and then have to visit a city of some place to shop, tour, eat lunch, etc. I am open to suggestions. Do you suggest something in close proximity that would make a good quick trip up and back?”>>

Alpenrose illustrated that good suggestion -Wengen – with pictures.

Isn’t Missouri the “Show Me” state? 😉

There are plenty of places to eat and shop. Wengen is a very sophisticated village.

However, the original suggestion of Thun makes good sense, too.

The older part of town near the railroad station is quite attractive, and the stores along the river walk are varied and nice, as well.

http://www.myswissalps.com/th un

Plenty of places to eat. If the weather is nice, outdoors on the terrace of the very nice 4 star Hotel Freienhof, by the river, is very pleasant..

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/hotels/stchotel-11469.html

http://www.freienhof.ch/hotel -thun/en/

Slowpoke

PS – my daughter lives in Omaha, and my family…originally from northern Germany, near Bremen – immigrated to the St. Louis, Mo. area in the 19th century. Even the Ozarks, nice as they are, are not as impressive as the mountains around the Jungfrau.

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Visiting small towns in Bern region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.