Looking for hiking and B&B details on Stoos area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2017 at 11:49:46 #812684

Hello

We have spent many hiking vacations in Switzerland, mainly spending our time in Zermatt which we love! We are avid hikers and we hike everyday. We thought we would change our plans this time. We will be flying into Zurich in September and ending up in the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren as a base for a week or more. We thought we might want to visit Stoos and hike int he areas overlooking the beautiful lakes areas. Hiking up to Fronalstock and the area looks very interesting.

We would like some feedback about staying and this area. We prefer B&B or high huts and would like to know more

We have been to Lauterbruunen many years ago and spent 4 days there and only touched upon the hikes there

appreicate any feedback

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 July 2017 at 6:40:48 #867113

Welcome to MySwissAlps SuzReed54!

Going back to the Jungfrau region will be very nice I’m sure. Did you mean to visit Fronalpstock as a day trip? It is not in the area and it takes 4.5 hours to get there from Lauterbrunnen. Personally I’d stick to the Jungfrau region and Bernese Oberland. There is plenty to see and do there:

myswissalps.com/ jungfrauregion

myswissalps.com/ berneseoberland

The Stoos area is best explored if staying in Central Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2017 at 11:03:49 #867114

Hello and thnak you for your reply,

We will be flying into Zurich and then taking a train to the Stoos area where we thought we would stay for 3 days. Then, we are traveling to Lauterbrunnen/Murren?Wengen for a weeks stay.

I did check the trains and it seems as though they travel to and from these areas is not too long??Maybe I am wrong. Please advice

Thank you. Just thought hiking High and with all the lakes around would be different and interesting.

Look forward to your opinion.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 July 2017 at 17:24:33 #867115

Hi Suz-

Take a look at this thread

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Also – follow up on the Swiss Path ( der Weg der Schweiz):

http://www.weg-der-schweiz.ch/en/

This following map link is from Wanderland Schweiz ( hiking) section of the Switzerland Mobility website:

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=1&la yers=Wanderland&E=2689 601&N=1204650

The website is kind of fussy. But, if the red dots marking the Swiss Path do not show on my link, click once on the heavy green line near Axenstein, and it should lead you into information about the Swiss Path in that area. On the first pop up menu can can mark the route – red dots and also get “more information.” Once you manage to get there, you’ll get altitude profiles, a detailed map, and information about accommodations along the route.

Here is what you can get:

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/r outen/etappe-01448.html

One caution…I never did make it up to the top at Fronalpstock…some of the cows did not look really friendly in some of the pastures we were crossing hiking up from Stoos. Should have used the cableway. I’m sure that the views over the lake from up on Fronalpstock should be magnificent. On the eastern side of the lake, the views from the Rigi and Rigi Chänzeli are nice, too.

However, lake views are skimpy on the trails on the eastern shore of the Urnersee, for example, from Morschach to Sisikon.. Better views from the west side.

The views from Seelisberg are quite nice.

We always like to eat by the water in Beckenried.

Also, Klewenalp in particular offers some good trails. And, Stockhütte is nice for lunch with good views and an easy walk down to the bus at Emmeten.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&X=19 9800.29&Y=679571.01&zo om=5

I think the eastern side of the Urnersee may be richer in good hiking opportunities, but. maybe that is just because we have stayed there more often.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 July 2017 at 20:21:45 #867116

Hi Suz –

<<“We will be flying into Zurich and then taking a train to the Stoos area where we thought we would stay for 3 days.”>>

I’d look for a place to stay with views of the lake. You won’t get that from Stoos.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Looking for hiking and B&B details on Stoos area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.