Questions on Swiss Travel Pass Flex

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 20:28:17 #816630

Wishing all a great day or evening. Will be visiting Switzerland in Sept for 2 weeks and have purchased my Swiss Pass Flexi for 4 days. Ok, here goes a few questions I have and please forgive me if they have already been asked before AND MUCH THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL REPLIES.

1. Now that I have the Swiss Pass Flexi do I still pay anything? For example: Im traveling from Chur to Tirano on the Bernina express, how do I get back to Chur? Just jump on the next train back without having to pay anything?

2. Jumping on a local bus or boat, will that cost me Swiss Pass days or is it free? Reason I ask is I only have 4 days on this pass and was going to use them on days trips to Bern, Montreux, coming back from Tirano, and possibly coming back from Gornergrat.

3. Having bought separate tickets to both Gornergrat and The Matterhorn Paradise, that will cover both to and return trip back to Zermatt?

Again thank you so much for your time and any suggestions. If you have anything else to add or suggestions that would help a first time Switzerland traveler that would be nice as well… God Bless and thanks again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 23:23:41 #888232

You can only use a 4-day Pass for travel on 4 days, no more. For example September 20, 23, 25 and 26. You could not travel any more after 26 because you would have already used up the 4 days.

On the Bernina, as long as you travel on one of your chosen days, a regional train would be ‘free’.

Most public transport of all types (away from the high mountain lines) is free to board , but again, only if it is one one of the 4 days you have chosen as the days you want to use your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 23:35:05 #888233

Great thank you so much for the help.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 June 2018 at 0:29:10 #888234

Have you considered a pass with more days of coverage?

Obviously, your needs will depend on how much you travel.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 0:35:36 #888235

Slowpoke thank you for response and was thinking about that. I spent a small fortune on the four day pass and was worried about paying for more than I would actually use. I don’t expect to use public transportation unless absolutely necessary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 5:41:57 #888236

Hi Sirjames6914 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Although as you’ve bought the Swiss Travel Pass Flex it is a little late to do the math!

To make the most of it, pack as much travel as you can on your 4 days of travel. On the other days point to point tickets might be the cheapest option if/when you travel (if you don’t go far).

You can also look at a Saver Day Pass if you have a 5th day somewhere with a lot of travel. Prices are cheaper the further out you buy this pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/onedaytravelpass /details

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 10:55:03 #888237

Thank you so much Lucas.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 June 2018 at 11:48:02 #888238

Hi Sir James,

An additional Swiss Half Fare Card is probably worth it: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. Your current pass only gives you 4 days in your 2 weeks. That’s not a lot to be honest. I find myself taking some mode of transport almost every day when in Switzerland. It’s usually not the car as it can’t take you to the peaks and forces you to go in circles as you always have to get back to the car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 19:10:26 #888239

Thank you Arno for both the suggestions and reply. Will go back over my itinerary and see if I should add more days.

• The thread ‘Questions on Swiss Travel Pass Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.