Visiting Switzerland early June – hiking options?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 13:45:17 #811767

I appreciate any advice folks have to offer. I have booked a flight to Zurich on June 5th and will return on the 12th of June. I am travelling with my 17 year old son, and am looking to hike for 4-5 days. I realize we are coming very early in the hiking season — are there particular places folks recommend? We have reservations in Guarda, but if that is not a good early season location i am open to suggestions. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 May 2017 at 15:34:40 #863123

Thanks for joining us, Rbarthnyc!

Guarda is for sure a beautiful town in a stunning region. But it’s located at 1650 meters, which is still pretty high for early June. Depending on next season’s weather conditions, higher trails could still be covered by snow. If there’s no late snow fall you should be fine though, and valley walks should be no problem either.

Of course there are other regions at lower altitude. The Lucerne region, the western parts of the Bernese Oberland (e.g. the Simmen valley) and the Montreux area with its vineyards are worth your consideration, although they’re all very different from the typical Engadine atmosphere of Guarda.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 0:08:27 #863124

Thanks so much. I will be coming this June 5th — do you have a sense of snow levels this year?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 7:11:39 #863125

At the moment there is still a fair bit of snow at higher altitudes – there’s no way to no for sure how it will be until you get here (it could stay hot for 3 weeks or turn to cold again)

It’s best to inquire at local tourist information offices to see the conditions and what trails are open when you arrive.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 12:17:04 #863126

Thank you Lucas!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2017 at 19:03:50 #863127

Hi Rbarth –

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/guarda-2660457/

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1047853963-Motta-Naluns-Mit-Blick-Richtung-Piz-Champatsch-%287550-Scuol%29_Weather

I love Guarda…usually stay at Hotel Piz Buin.

They used to open at about June 1. Have not checked recently.

What level of expertise do you have as hikers? What sort of hikes do you have in mind? Day hikes? Cabin to cabin. Alpine many day routes? Technical climbing?

This site can convince you that there are hikes worth doing everywhere in Switzerland…depending on the season.

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /schweizmobil.html

The Luzern area and the Emmental are two areas where early June hiking is good, because of the lower altitude.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Visiting Switzerland early June – hiking options?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.