Extend the walk from Chillon Castle to Villeneuve

Extend the walk from Chillon Castle to Villeneuve

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Mar 4, 2017 - 3:17 PM

Hi There

Hoping that Arno or Slowpoke can help me

I wish to walk from Chillion Castle to Villenvue and have found this link that states it is roughly 6km and will take 1hr 30 mins on the swiss wanderland site. However I am wondering can I walk any further than this and also what is this walk like.

I would like like to go from there onto Geneva but are finding it difficulty to locate trains do I have to go back on the train to Montreux ??

- Would this be a good place to catch the boat from as would like to do a boat cruise.

Any suggestions would be great many thanks in advance

Arno
Arno
9617 posts
expert &
Mar 4, 2017 - 4:01 PM

Hi Twiggy321,

I did this walk myself but started in Montreux, so that makes it a little longer than starting from Chillon Castle. I didn't think the trail after Villeneuve would be interesting. You can keep walking to Le Bouveret train station, but that makes for a much longer walk and train connections back to Montreux and Geneva take longer from there (change trains in St-Maurice).

If you plan to take a boat after the walk do check the timetable as boats do not run frequently. Personally I'd start with a boat trip and end with a walk to a train stop.

twiggy321
twiggy321
90 posts
Mar 4, 2017 - 5:51 PM

Thanks Arno

Yep your suggestion about doing a boat first might be a better idea. I think we might just doing an evening walk to Villeneuve i read somewhere that the sunset is pretty impressive and it looks easy enough to get a train back to Montreux from there.

on another note is the walk on similar pathway to that of Montreux to Chillion Castle as looking on google maps it looks very road based,

Many thanks Arno your wealth of knowledge is much appreciated.

Arno
Arno
9617 posts
expert &
Mar 4, 2017 - 6:15 PM in reply to twiggy321

You're welcome! Walking from Montreux to Villeneuve is nearly all on a wide pedestrian path. And indeed taking a train back to Montreux is no problem. If you walk the other way around you'll have a slightly wider view across the lake but any direction is worth it.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017