Walking trip for irish club to Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2013 at 13:36:08 #805785

Hi,I am hoping someone can help me with the purchasing of the correct travel ticket for a walking trip to Grindelwald.I am organising a walking holiday for my walking club and I am trying to get information on the best value ticket we need to purchase.
    We are travelling on Aug24th to 31st.We will be arriving at Geneva airport and then onto Grindelwald.22 is in our group.We travelled last year to Munich and was able to buy a group rail ticket to Garmisch,do Switzerland have this option?We have walks in Grindelwald that require cable car so we will hope with what travel we get will get us discounts on cable cars and trains.we will also take theJungfraujock and Schilthorn experience.I also would like the group to take a boat ride in Interlacken as a free day off from walking.PLEASE,can someone help me and can ticket be prepurchased before we go.regards Breda

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 February 2013 at 15:02:19 #838045

Welcome to the forum Breda! The Swiss Card would be a perfect pass for your walking club. It grants a free trip from Geneva Airport to Grindelwald, and back from Grindelwald to any airport or border station. In between, a 50% discount is granted on pretty much all trips, including cable cars and mountain trains in the Grindelwald area, the Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, and boat trips over Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. All information, including a downloadable validity network map, can be found at the Swiss Card page.

Purchase options are displayed too, in the upper right corner. You can fill out the number of travelers, your country of residence and further details there for an overview of resellers. I’d definitely purchase the passes online in advance if I were you, as it will take lots of time to do so after your arrival at the airport. I assume you’re from Ireland? In that case an online purchase is even cheaper than buying locally.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2013 at 18:31:35 #838046

Hi Annika,thanks so much for all info,this is the perfect option.I will check out costs and let group know.thanks again,looking
    forward to trip,regards Breda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2013 at 4:35:02 #838047

Hi again,I was in contact with group and some may not use as much cable cars for walks than others as they will do low walks.What
    ticket would I advice them to get that will include train from Geneva airport.I was wondering also if there is a group rate for the train journey.Thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 February 2013 at 9:10:42 #838048

Hi Breda. If there are some people who plan to use hardly any public transportation once they’re in Grindelwald, a Swiss Transfer Ticket (comprising only the trip Geneva Airport-Grindelwald and Grindelwald-border or airport, but no further discounts) might be more economical. I doubt whether that’s a good option though. Please mind that cable cars and mountain trains are rather expensive, so only a few trips by public transportation would justify buying Swiss Cards because of the 50% discount it provides during your stay.

Group discounts for regular train tickets do exist (20% off, 10th person for free), but I calculated this and in all it’s more expensive than the Swiss Card or Swiss Transfer Ticket option for your group.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2013 at 11:05:00 #838049

Hi Annika, thanks for info,as you mentioned Swiss Card seems to be better option all round.thanks for info.On a different subject can someone give
    me the name of a good walking map with fia ferreta included?

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 February 2013 at 7:10:28 #838050

Hello Breda. Good hiking maps can be found here. These are genuine hiking maps, and I’m not sure whether via ferrata-routes are included. Please mind that these are climbing routes, and thus very different from normal hiking paths: they can be dangerous and require special equipment, experience and sometimes a guide. You could take a look at the Eiger-Rotstock trail and the Kandersteg-Allmenalp trail.

• The thread ‘Walking trip for irish club to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.