Want to make best of 3.5 days in Swiss in Jan 17

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2017 at 16:07:11 #810537

Hello,

We are two INDIAN Colleagues travelling to France for some official event and decided to break our journey in Zurich for 3-4 days to enjoy Swiss Scenic Beauty.

We would land in Zurich on 19th Jan 07:00 am and will take a flight back on 22nd Jan at 15.00 hrs from Zurich (That gives us three and half days to explore Swiss)

We are keen upon exploring the scenic beauty, Swiss culture & if possible may be some village life experience…….. However we really worried about the weather & how our body would react to extreme cold temperature at mountain picks… As we are not much exposed to cold temperatures being from Mumbai, India….

Since we are further going for an official event, we would like play safe…. and request you to suggest places where in temperatures are not extreme….

After initial homework, I could think about following broad plan (May be you can help us in micro detailing the same and also advise the budget stay locations):

19th Jan – 7.00 am : Zurich to Lucerne

– Pls advise how we can combine the lake boat ride & Mt. Rigi (Hope both are included in Swiss travel pass & no extra charge ???)

– Swiss Transport Museum.: The entry fee to this museum is reduces to 15 Euros from 4 pm to 6 pm .

– Overnight stay at some budget hotel… pls suggest name

20th Jan-

Option 1: Lucerne to Grindelwald – Mannlichen – Wengen & stay at Grindelwald

Option 2: Lucerne to Grindelwald – Murren – Schilthorn & Stay at Interlaken

– Lucerne to Interlaken Ost by scenic Golden Pass Train route( pls confirm its included in Travel Pass)

– Request you to please advice extra cost other than Travel pass for both the options

– Please suggest the best option considering winter weather

– We can also think about Titlis but again cost and weather condition???

21st Jan- Interlaken Ost – Zweisimmen – Montreux

Option 1 : stay in Montreux after some sightseeing in Zweisimmen & Montreux

Option 2 : Go ahead to Geneva and spend night there & go clubbing

Option 3 : Travel back to Zurich same evening and spend next half day in Zurich for local city walk

22nd Jan : Zurich – Flight to France at 15.00 hrs

I am flexible with my plan and will change my itinerary based on your suggestion…..Look forward for your advice in this regards….

Thank you in advance..

Parag

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2017 at 8:13:59 #857900

Hi Parag and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Just so you know, I moved your thread to the miscellaneous forum as it does not belong in trip reports forum (for trips already completed).

First off please note if you are travelling anywhere in Switzerland in January it is going to be quite cold. If you go up the mountains in can get extremely cold! Take a look at our weather page for more details.

I’ll try and answer your questions as best I can!

• Take a look at our Rigi page for more details on Lake Luzern boat rides and Rigi exploration.
    • Please find some great Luzern (German spelling) hotel options here.
    • Jan 20th options: Take a look at our weather page for more thoughts on the very changeable weather systems here. As I mentioned above anywhere you go in the winter is going to be cold – almost certainly below zero and much lower the higher up you go. There’s no way to know the exact weather until a day or 2 before. Option 2, however,with returning to Interlaken would be more convenient as you plan on taking the Golden Pass line the next day and you can do so from Interlaken Ost.
    • The Golden Pass line is included in the Swiss Travel Pass. Please take a look here for more details. Some sections of the trip we recommend reservations.
    • Here is further details on Mt. Titlis as well.
    • On Jan.21 I would probably avoid going all the way to Geneva from Interlaken Ost and then return to Zurich the next day for your flight. Staying in Montreux or heading right back to Zurich are both viable options. It really depends on if there is something specific you want to see in Montreux vs. Zurich. In general, I think there are more things to see and do in Zurich in the winter over Montreux.

I hope that helps with your planning and please let us know if you would like more information or specific help on one area.

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Want to make best of 3.5 days in Swiss in Jan 17’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.