Jan 9, 2013 - 7:24 AM
My wife and I are planning a 18 day trip on the Alpine Pass Route, hiking from village to village, sometimes staying in Village Inns and sometimes in huts. We are most concerned about water and lunch, and thus have a few questions.
1. Can you buy fuel (alcohol) for Trangia type stoves in the larger villages (such as Elm or Linthal)
2. Can you buy dehydrated meal packs that you just add boiling water to (such as Mountain House we can get here in Canada)
3. What about "Granola" type bars or other individually wrapped (and easily packed) snacks. Are those easily available too? I presume you can get trail mix?
4. Alternatively to the dehydrated meals, we were hoping to buy lunch supplies (bread, cheese, sandwiches, fruit etc) in the villages as we pass through. Is this feasible (i.e. do the villages all have stores to buy such supplies?)
5. How does one get water on route? Do you have to pay for it or can you fill up your bottles for free at the inn you stay at. Do villages have taps or springs to fill your bottles at?
7. What is the approx price of a lunch meal at a hut or other mountain inn that is listed as serving meals assuming you are not staying there? What would be the price for filling up a bottle of water.
Thanks so much in advance.