Buy Swiss watches in Zurich or Luzern or in USA?

• sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    8 October 2018 at 4:46:12 #818623

Folks

Is it worth to buy swiss watches in Zurich or Luzern? Or should I look for them in US itself?

Of course budget is not more than 1500usd and is a gift. If its fine to buy in switzerland, then can you suggest any good places in the above cities to buy?

TIA

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    8 October 2018 at 6:32:50 #897575

Hi,

Check http://www.amazon.com, box “ship to”.

Prices are in the same range. At a Swiss watch store you’ll get professional advice.

We do not encourage smuggling, so please also check your country’s customs regulations ( http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/what-expect-when-you-return ) and be prepared to follow those rules.

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    8 October 2018 at 16:27:23 #897576

Thanks Snowman. I dont have any intention of smuggling 🙂

So, from buying in switzerland, Is zurich better or luzern? Whats your recommendation of the shop for the budget I am looking at?

Thanks

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    8 October 2018 at 16:32:00 #897577

I am in Geneva. I buy a watch every 10 years or so. So I have no idea about watch stores in Lucern and Zurich.

Good luck.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2018 at 16:36:56 #897578

Hi sreraku,

I haven’t bought any Swiss watches myself, but the topic has come up on the forums before. Have you searched through the forum for other threads on this topic?

Use the search box at the top right of the website. Try “Swiss watch” or “watches” etc to find other threads on the subject that should be helpful.

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    8 October 2018 at 17:45:38 #897579

Hi Lucas

I did search in the forums. But couldnt find any recommendation as such.

Thanks Snowman.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    9 October 2018 at 3:49:42 #897580

Hi,

I’ve bought a few watches in CH, three in Zurich, one in Lucerne and two in Zermatt. Bucherer’s in Lucerne was amazing and has a wide range of prices.

Walking down the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich is worth doing, if only to try and find the most expensive watch on display (last visit, 260000chf for a platinum IWC) most shops only put their best watches in the window, so don’t be afraid to go in and ask about something more in your price range.

I enjoy shopping there. There appears to be a much greater range, although the more boutique establishments will only carry a limited number of brands. With fake watches rampant in the online world, i like the security of dealing with official outlets and lastly, there’s the warm glow of saying to anyone who asks about your new watch “Yes Darling. I bought it in Switzerland.”

Cheers

Alan

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    9 October 2018 at 18:38:39 #897581

Thanks Alan. That helps.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    15 October 2018 at 17:47:42 #897582

I’ve bought watches in Switzerland. Keep in mind the prices are the same no matter where you buy the same watch. I bought mine in Zermatt at Bucherer. There is definitely more variety in Zurich as mentioned above or Lucerne but I found what I wanted in Zermatt. I was able to save the VAT tax–if this applies to you, make certain that you get the proper paperwork before you leave the store and know exactly what to do before you leave the country. The airports have personnel to help you–you may or may not have help in Swiss train stations . I tried to go to Bucherer late last November but the Zermatt store was closed and under construction and the large store in Zurich was open but undergoing renovations. Have fun!

sreraku
    Participant
    68 posts
    16 October 2018 at 4:24:18 #897583

Thanks Cam. I have researched on internet and found this http://www.estv.admin.ch/estv /en/home/mehrwertsteue r/fachinformationen/va t-refund—tax-free/tax-free.html. Sent out an email to the consulate. Crossing fingers now 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2018 at 6:49:15 #897584

Hi sreraku,

As long as the watch is over 300chf you can get a VAT form from the store and they can often help you fill it out. It gets a little tricky leaving the country via rail, but if at the airport there will be offices for you to claim the refund.

• The thread ‘Buy Swiss watches in Zurich or Luzern or in USA?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.