Watches & bags, where to buy in Lucerne or Zurich?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 21:33:23 #813294

Can someone please suggest where to buy Swiss made watches that are reasonable in price. Much appreciated. 😊 Also a goood place to buy handbags Thank you !!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    19 September 2017 at 1:20:20 #869947

You didn’t say what was a “reasonable” price? You will see the SBB train station watch made by Mondaine sold at every SBB station ticket office and currency exchange office. They would make a great souvenir but I personally think they are really overpriced. They seem to start at about $100 and mechanical versions probably start at $300. If you are looking for a mechanical watch for more than $2k (to infinity), stroll down the Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich. Swatch Irony SS quartz watches are very nice and sell for (I’m guessing from history) $100-$150. They are sold all over including their own stores. One is in the ShopVille underground mall under the Zürich HB. They are beautiful, rugged and have great accuracy but be aware they are probably the most expensive non-repairable watch you can buy. (I’m talking about cracking the crystal and getting to the movement) You can easily change the battery through a little cover. I have three of them. Swatch also makes a zillion plastic cased models that are cheaper. They are colorful with different styles. I have seen many other “cheaper” watches (less than $100) that are sold at souvenir stores where you can buy a Swiss Army Knife but I have no idea how good they are. If you are looking for a mechanical watch, Swatch has several Irony models at about $150. Most mechanical watches are many hundreds of dollars to start.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2017 at 6:49:34 #869948

Thank you very much JLovda. 100-200 price range is reasonable. Thank I will check out ss Swatch irony SSquartz plus the Zurich HB. We were also told by the hotel to look at Buchherer in Lucerne

are there any malls with different sites to purchase different things ?

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    19 September 2017 at 12:20:19 #869949

I really can’t add much more since I haven’t spent much time watch shopping in Switzerland for the last ten-fifteen years. Regarding Bucherer’s. It is the largest Rolex dealer in Switzerland and has stores in just about every major city. You never know what you can find there unless you look but I would classify them as an exclusive “Bahnhofstrasse Jewelry Store” dealing mainly with $1K-up exclusive watch brands. The same level as Tiffany’s. They have a big store in Luzern in the old city shopping section across the Ruess River bridge from the train station. Nice to window shop there though. If you are a tourist in Switzerland, except for ShopVille at the Zürich HB, you will probably never see a typical US type mall. Tourist area streets will just be lined with small shops selling cookoo clocks, music boxes (cheap to very expensive), watches, jewelry, embroidered clothing and patches, wood carvings, army knives, chocolates and other Swiss items known to the world. Switzerland is NOT a cheap country. That’s why I eat mainly at Migros and Coop grocery stores.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2017 at 5:47:55 #869950

Thank you very much !

• The thread ‘Watches & bags, where to buy in Lucerne or Zurich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.