What to do in only 2 days in Grindelwald in August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 2:39:45 #816084

Hi My Swiss Alps Folks!!

After 28 years of marriage, this is our first trip to Europe (or our first big trip anywhere, as a matter of fact : ), and my husband and I are so excited. And we have had several friends tell us that these few days in Switzerland will be the very best of our trip!

We will be taking the train from Venice, and will arrive to Grindelwald the evening of Aug 12th, and leave for Lucerne the evening of Aug 14th, before flying from Zurich to Budapest the evening of Aug 15th.

We are in decent hiking shape (but I’m a wimp when I get cold…. so I’m a bit worried about that)…. and would love to know what might be the most memorable activities to do to maximize our short time in the region. Hikes, bikes, rail trips…. and we are very interested in hearing about the possibility of paragliding.

We’d love any of your thoughts or recommendations about any of the above.

Thank you so much!!

Heidi (and Mike)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2018 at 14:41:43 #885752

Hi Heidi (and Mike) and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Grindelwald is in the Jungfrau region and a nice choice to stay there. For a list of our suggested activities around Grindelwald click here and the wider Jungfrau region click here.
    There is a paragliding company in the Lauterbrunnen Valley you can check out here.

I understand then that you are staying in Lucerne for an evening and morning before your flight from Zurich? To learn more about Lucerne click here.

There are hiking trails noted on the links above as well, with trail length and difficulty to help you choose the best ones for you.
    Let us know if you have further questions!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    20 May 2018 at 0:00:07 #885753

Hi Guys!

Grindelwald has a lot to offer. At the end of two days you’ll be wishing you had more time! Everything hangs on the weather though. The big attraction is the Jungfraujoch which is spectacular and will take up at least half a day. If you’d rather look at the mountains than be on them, take the gondola to First (pronounced Fearsht) and walk to the Bachalpsee, or take the gondola to Männlichen and walk back via Kleine Scheidegg and Alpiglenn. There are other fun activities such as Trotti Bikes, the First Flyer and Mountain Carts, and the Rodelbahn (Tobogan) at Pfingstegg

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/

http://www.pfingstegg.ch/inde x.php/en/timetable-prices-4/toboggan

The last time I was in Grindelwald, my wife and I flew with a company based in Interlaken. For our next trip we would like to fly closer to Grindelwald, so I have been looking at a company called Paragliding-Jungfrau which has an office in Grindelwald. I haven’t flown with them before, but Paragliding is well regulated in Switzerland and I would expect any company to be safe, friendly and professional. Have a look at their site to get a feel for what’s on offer.

http://www.paragliding-jungfrau.ch/wp/

As far as cold weather goes, August is mid-summer, so you are more likely to have trouble with the heat. Keep in mind though, temperature decreases 1 Deg Celsius for every 100 metres you go up. Grindelwald is at an altitude of 1034m. The Jungfraujoch is 3466, so the Adiabatic temperature difference is 24 Deg. I usually take a fleece vest and full wet weather gear with me, regardless of how the weather is at the start of the day because it can change very quickly. I’ve seen lots of visitors getting into cablecars and gondolas in the valley not wearing appropriate gear (Like the woman at the Jungfraujoch stepping out onto the snow Plateau in open toed high heels), but if you can keep any wind and rain out, you’ll be fine.

You’re going to have a blast, and if you could post a little trip report when you get back, that would be great!

Have fun,

Alan

hannahsmom
    Participant
    16 posts
    20 May 2018 at 3:26:28 #885754

Heidi and Mike,

2 years ago, my husband and I spent 3.5 days in the Berner Oberland region and loved it so much we’re spending 2 full weeks there this summer, also arriving Aug 12. Literally breathtaking there, you will be amazed. I highly recommend paragliding. I went with Airtime out of Lauterbrunnen. The First Flyer zipline was closed due to weather last time, so we’ll try to do that this time. And the walk from Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg is highly recommended. There’ also the Pfingsteg toboggan ride I hope to try if the weather cooperates.

Dressing in layers served me well, and a good rain jacket was essential. Weather systems seem to come and go quickly there.

Have a great trip. You will wish you had more time there!

Leah

• The thread ‘What to do in only 2 days in Grindelwald in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.