Weather in Switzerland too cold in October?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
shoupster
shoupster
2 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 9:31 PM

We are planning a trip Sept 26-Oct 15...9 days in Interlaken, 3 in Zermatt, 4 in Lucern and 2 in Bern. Now we are worried that it will be too cold to enjoy our trip. Should we change dates to something earlier? We plan a few hikes in the Lauterbrunnen Valley and several trips to mountain tops by rail and cablecar.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 1:28 AM in reply to shoupster

Hi shoupster, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are appropriately dressed, Switzerland is not too cold to enjoy at any time of the year.

However, it will be getting decidedly chilly in higher-altitude towns and villages by the beginning of October, with the chance of light snowfalls (which will usually melt within a day or two at that time of year).

If you would prefer warmer weather, I would suggest you move your trip forward to begin in the first week of September. That is a particularly good time to be in the Jungfrau Region, where you are spending most of your time.

You can find out more about the weather here:

www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jun 27, 2018 - 1:39 AM by Removed user
Mattware49
Mattware49
6 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 9:26 AM

Hi.

We've been in October before and it wasn't too bad at all. The only time I'd say we were cold was first thing in the morning before the sun raise above the alps after that we were pretty warm and in t shirts and occasionally a hoodie or jumper until the sun set.

Enjoy your break :-)

dangerden
dangerden
2 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 3:33 PM

As wise people say “There’s no such thing as bad weather only inappropriate clothing”... I hike in the Swiss Alps all year round. I usually try to do that during sunny days or above the clouds. October should be wonderful as you might catch a relatively short autumn in gold outfit period.

Arno
Arno
11548 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2018 - 4:20 PM

Hi Shoupster,

Theoretically it could even be too warm to enjoy your trip :-) Just kidding a bit, but the weather in the Alps can vary a whole lot. It also depends on what you're used to and what you expect. Depending on where you'll be located it can still be hot late September, e.g. in the south of the Ticino area. And it can be chilly too. I would not expect it to be cold in the valleys, only at the peaks. See Alpenrose's second link for how to dress for any kind of weather you may encounter. You have picked a very nice season on average, so I'd go and enjoy, unless you prefer guaranteed 25+ C temperatures.

Last modified on Jun 27, 2018 - 5:23 PM by Arno
shoupster
shoupster
2 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 6:05 PM

I am so grateful for all of your responses. I feel like I have friends who will gladly help with my questions. I appreciate all of you remarks. We feel much better about traveling during the times we have booked. We will remember that appropriate clothing should be in our suitcases.

thanks again!!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018