Weather in Spiez and Bern in May, June

• Coni
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 June 2022 at 19:36:29 #827486

I am just beginning to plan a 2 week trip to Switzerland and know that we will be staying in Spiez. I am debating between May and June (2023). What type of differences in weather are likely between the two months? Searching the internet for historical data/temps for those months during 2021, I get a wide variety of temperatures and rain amounts for the same date, depending on the website – so I don’t know which source is accurate. Also, will train and boat tours probably be operating similar schedules during both of those months? Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    13 June 2022 at 4:00:48 #943188

Hi Coni,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

If you’re planning to stay in Spiez, I don’t think it makes a big difference if you plan your trip in May or June. Boat and train schedules are similar in both months.

If your base is in the mountains such as Wengen and Grindelwald, June would be a better option — that’s when the gondola and cable cars start operating again for the summer season.

Going by this year’s weather; May should be reasonably warm (some days already reaching close to 30 degree Celcius this year) and June even warmer, with some rain showers in between.

You can find more information about the weather and when is the best time to visit from the following links:

Weather in Switzerland

Best time to visit

Hope this helps you to finalize your trip.

Regards,

Anna

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    13 June 2022 at 8:41:46 #943189

I stayed in the Spiez area in the second week of June in 2018.

Of course, things can vary a great deal, but my experience then was of generally very good warm weather in the low to mid 20s centigrade. I noticed one phenomenon on most days, and was told by my host that it was typical for the Lake Thun area at that time of year – beautiful sunny, dry mornings, a build up of clouds in the afternoon, heavy, sharp thunderstorms from about 4pm to 6pm, and gorgeous crisp, clear skies for the rest of the day. One evening at 9pm a temperature of 28 degrees registered on a local garage forecourt.

Perhaps the only advice to take seriously from this is to go prepared, read the forecasts and not be too isolated if you see a build up of dark clouds.

John

• The thread ‘Weather in Spiez and Bern in May, June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.