Weather – Lake Brienz boat trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 3:51:48 #807630

We will be in Lauterbrunnen 28-19 September and hope to take a Lake Brienz boat trip and see the Ballenburg Open Air Museum just outside of Brienz (boat one way / train the other). Hoping the weather is good on Monday, because I think the fares are cheaper then, or maybe I’m misunderstanding the Monday specials. We will have a Swiss Half Fare card.

I know you can’t say for sure, but at that time of the year would it usually be best to do the boat portion in the morning or late afternoon, or wouldn’t it make that much difference?

Also hope to go to the woodcarving shops (eg. Huggler) while in Brienz.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    26 July 2015 at 13:35:06 #844758

Hi lkbavmn!

You’re right, it really can’t be predicted what weather will look like on that specific day. If it’s still quite typical warm (late) summer weather, clouds tend to grow over the mountain ranges as the day continues, but it’s often still clear over Lake Brienz until (late) afternoon. On such a day, it doesn’t really matter when you plan your boat trip. On the other hand, if autumn cold sets in early, you may encounter some morning fog in the valleys and over the lakes. In all, September is often quite clear and dry.

But as you can see, there are no guarantees at all. Any kind of weather may set in with any kind of variation during the day, and all you can do is check forecasts shortly before leaving and adjust your plans accordingly. You won’t have to make reservations for your boat trip, so just get on board whenever you like and buy a 50% discounted ticket at the dock before getting in.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 21:07:13 #844759

Yes, weather all over the world is the same…..difficult to predict–here in Minnesota, too….but thank you very much for the info you provided!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 July 2015 at 23:16:42 #844760

<<“Also hope to go to the woodcarving shops (eg. Huggler) while in Brienz.”>>

Take a look at Jobin. A major player in the industry. Not only is their shop nice, but they have a pleasant small museum (fee) attached. Worth the few CHF. They are a few hundred meters from the station on the uphill side of the main street.

I brought back a nice music box for my granddaughter’s collection from Jobin.

When you get off the boat, walk across the street and up a few feet to the main station of the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn. You might see one of the steamers starting up the mountain. If you have a clear day, that is a spectacular ride, with great views up top, as well as,,,,you guessed it…a restaurant.

http://www.brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/en/experience/ railway/timetable.html

The private funicular for the short ride p from the lake to the hotel Gieesbach is worth it, and there is a terrace restaurant. If you miss the next boat it is an hour and 1/2 ( if I remember correctly) walk back to the main station at Brienz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2015 at 23:39:16 #844761

Thank you for the hints Slowpoke! We’re also hoping to do the Ballenburg Open Air Museum the day we take the boat trip and look around Brienz so we may not have enough time to do it all, but we’ll certainly consider it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 July 2015 at 0:09:50 #844762

<<“we may not have enough time to do it all, but we’ll certainly consider it.”>>

Never enough time….;-) Still, nice to know about the options.

I understand your situation; I’m sure that you’ll enjoy it whichever you choose.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Weather – Lake Brienz boat trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.