About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Visiting Switzerland in Dec - what to pack
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Visiting Switzerland in Dec - what to pack

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Johnsonkelly
Johnsonkelly
7 posts
Oct 11, 2021 - 7:03 PM

We are visiting at the beginning of December and I'm having a hard time figuring out what to pack. We will be primarily in Zermatt and Grindelwald. We won't be doing any snow sports like skiing or snowboarding (maybe tobogganing or tubing) , but will obviously be walking around in the snow and taking tours up in the mountains. I've read that it should be 30-39F (-1 to 4C) in town at these locations, and 10-15F (-12 to -9C) up at higher elevations. Would these estimates be correct? I'm also trying to figure out the best type of jackets for this weather (planning on packing 2), type of shoes required (planning on packing 2), will jeans and/or thick leggings be okay, and get any other information on best clothes to pack for this weather.

Last modified on Oct 11, 2021 - 7:46 PM by Johnsonkelly
Anna
Anna
1558 posts
top member &
Oct 12, 2021 - 9:05 AM in reply to Johnsonkelly

Hi Johnsonkelly,

Grindelwald and Zermatt are both mountain destinations so you should expect significantly lower winter temperatures in December. I reckon between 1 deg and 5 deg Celcius during the day, and commonly below freezing at night. It might often be raining and on some days or night you might even get snow, so bring a waterproof jacket, gloves/mittens, scarves, beanies and sturdy winter boots. Best tip is to wear layers - thermals as base layer, fleece pullover or sweatshirts as mid layer and down/ rainproof jacket as outer layer. Sometimes, when the sun shines, it can get really warm in the mountains and wearing layers makes it easier to adapt to the changing temperatures. I usually wear thermals under my jeans when it's really cold, but I recommend wearing snow pants/trousers if you plan on doing any kind of winter sports including tobogganing. More useful tips here: www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/clothing/winter

Find more information about the Swiss weather here: www.myswissalps.com/weather

Here's a good link to check the weather forecast: www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast (you can customise the location)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Oct 12, 2021 - 9:09 AM by Anna

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021