1 week itinerary for Wengen in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 14:54:09 #814441

Hi guys,

Heading to Switzerland for the first time this summer and decided on Wengen as a base. Accommodation and flights already booked and I’ve put together the following provisional itinerary. ‘would be grateful for any comments …anything that’s unrealistic, any must see’s I’ve missed etc. The days are interchangeable according to the weather of course..

Day 1 Travelling Manchester/Basel/ Wengen

Day 2 Hike Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg , lunch Klenie Scheidegg, Continue hike up to Mannlichen then Gondola back to Wengen

Day 3 Wengen to Jungfraujoch morning, Jungfraujoch to Alipglen train, Hike the Eiger Trail, Train from Eigergletscher to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen

Day 4 Lake Brienz cruise – from Interlaken To Brienze, Train to Brienzwiler, Open air museum in Brienzwiler, Train back to Wengen or train to brienze/boat back to Interlaken

Day 5 Paragliding Lauterburren morning, Lauterburren – gimelwald – murren, lunch in Murren, cable car from murren to schiltorn

Day 6 Hike lauterbrunnen to stechelberg morning, First – zip wire, buggy, bike afternoon

Day 7 Hike Schynige Platte to First

Day 8 Wengen/Basel/ Manchester

I’m leaning towards a swiss transfer ticket + 6 day Jungfrau Pass at the moment. The best option?

Looking at the Half fare card it seems it might work out a little cheaper overall if I stick to my itinerary but I quite like the convenience of not having to purchase tickets every time we take a trip so don’t mind paying a reasonable premium for that luxury.

Only nagging doubt is that if we get a week of really bad weather in the mountains a half fare card would I suppose be more flexible for heading off to other destinations.

A trade off between flexibility and convenience I guess…any opinions on that in particular?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2018 at 18:15:33 #876880

Hi Domjon-

Sounds like a good plan. And, it’s good to have enough time there to raise your chnaces of some good weather days.

I note “Summer.” When? It can have an effect on the weather?

<<“Looking at the Half fare card it seems it might work out a little cheaper overall if I stick to my itinerary but I quite like the convenience of not having to purchase tickets every time we take a trip so don’t mind paying a reasonable premium for that luxury.”>>

Many feel that way. Since I vist Switzeralnd periodically during any year, I carry a Swiss Half-fare card, and find that the ubiquitous ticket machines – which work in in at least German, French and English – work quickly and efficiently.

A couple of comments-

Day 2 –

Please take the hike from Männlichen toward Kleine Scheidegg. Please. The psychological effect of having the Eiger grow over you as you approach it is not to be missed. If you go from KS to M, you’ll find yourself either turning around frequently or getting a sore neck….or ignoring an important aspect of the hike.

Much as I don’t really like Rick Steves, preferring to find my own ways that don’t match his tastes, I’ll comment that even he recommends that direction for the M->KS walk. ;-).

So does everyone else (almost) who has done it.

As far as Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg…better up hill than down, if your knees are not in good condition. If you are used to climbing on slopes, then it won’t matter.

The down slope of the trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is so modest as to make no difference in that matter.

Day 7-

A strenuous walk. Watch your timing…the last cableways down at First don’t leave very late in the day.

Any day-

Have you considered the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn?

http://www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 18:19:33 #876881

Thanks I’ll look into the steam train and see if we fancy it.

Arrive in Wengen June 21st so early summer I guess.

I shall heed your advice on the direction of hikes…exactly the kind of thing I was looking for thanks 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2018 at 19:20:14 #876882

<<“Arrive in Wengen June 21st so early summer I guess.”>>

Very very dependent on altitude. At 2000 meters, June 15th is the tail end of Winter, and Spring is just starting.

In the lower elevations, for example, near Luzern at a round 400 meters, Spring arrives in late April, and late June is , indeed, early Summer…or late Spring.

High Alps hikers , on the major Alpine routes, don’t plan on good trails until July, in a normal year.

The Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail rarely opens before June 15th. There has been heavy snow this year. The issue is not only that the trail cab be blocked by snow as it goes around Tschuggen, but that the danger of snowslides does not subside until the snow has melted/evaporated considerably.

It could be a week later, or more.

I’d question whether Schynige Platte to First will be open.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 19:26:20 #876883

All great info thanks…on the plus side I guess less crowds then this early 🙂

I’ll plan a couple of alternative days…maybe a trip to Lucerne, in the event some of the routes are still closed.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2018 at 20:39:06 #876884

<<“maybe a trip to Lucerne, in the event some of the routes are still closed.”>>

Definitely a good idea. The weather is still quite changeable in June.

Bern is nice, too.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

Frequent trains , 58 minute trip from Interlaken. Direct trains at xx00 and xx30.

The Rhone Valley is easily accessible via Spiez and Kandersteg, and has sunnier and warmer weather than the Jungfrau region. It actually has a quite dry climate.No glorious mountains, but nice diversion is to walk the railtrail on the south-facing slope:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/hohtenn-lalden

and, with my photos:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘1 week itinerary for Wengen in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.