Wengen 3 1/2 days trip – need final suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 8:49:57 #812570

Hello Team,

I need your help in finalising the trip to Wengen from September 17th till Sept 21st . Me and my wife are 28 and 26 respctvely and fit to do 1 to 2 hours hikes. Sorry for the long message but the trip is in detail as I have planned.

The trip detail are as below:

15th Sept-> Land in Zurick and enjoy in Lucerne for 2 days..

17th – Mt. Rigi trip in the morning in Lucerne and then catch most probably 3:05 PM or max 4:05 PM train to Interlaken( Reach 5 PM or max by 6 PM) and change to Wengen by Via Golden pass route. I hope there would be enough light before sunset ( Sun set time is 7:40 PM ) to enjoy the scenic route from Lucerne to Interlaken till Wengen before it gets fully dark. (1) Any change in timings I should make ??

Checkin Hotel in Wengen and take rest..

18th -> Mt Jungfrau excursion. Wengen->Kleine Scheidegg->Zungfrau->Grindelwald->Zweilütschinen->Wengen.

(2) Do you suggest any change in path or some stopovers or some short hikes that we can accommodate on the way ??

(3) I have heard of some waterfall on the way..Can you suggest any ??

(4) After this round trip any other activity that we can adjust in on that day ??

19th -> Schilthorn trip .. Wengen -> Murren ->Schilthorn and stop over in Birg.

(5) Any suggestion on the return trip route or any alternate route we should take ??

(6) And any small hikes that we can take ??

20th -> Plan is to do a skydive or hang gliding or may be para gliding.. I will decide on that..Any suggestions are welcome. (7) Apart from this which all other places that I can cover in this day..Need your advice on this ??

All above dates are open to interchange depending on the weather conditions.

21st -> Return to Paris via Laussane by Golden Pass route and then TGV.

Wengen ( 5:12 AM)->Spiez by normal train

Spiez (7:36 AM )->Zweisimmeen->Montreux(10:15 AM) by Golden Pass route

Montreux (10:27 AM)->Laussane

Laussane ( 12:23 PM) to Paris (TGV ticket booked)

(8) Please let me know if this is practically possible or the schedule is too tight and chances are to miss the train if the first is late ?? We are well fit to run and catch the train. That wont be an issue.

I am going via this route so that I donot miss the golden pass route.

Please let me know any suggestions for which I should totally reconsider my plan.

(9) Any must see in Wengen that I have missed and can be covered during my stay, please recommend ..Please add any recommendation on other special trains such as Glacier express etc during my stay in Wengen ??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2017 at 16:23:49 #866509

Hi ronnywitty,

A well thought out itinerary. I’ll see if I can answer most of your questions!

1. I think Slowpoke answered this on your other post?
    2. Busy day. Have you looked at the panoramic walk from Mannlichen?
    3. There is Trummelbach Falls between Wengen and Murren…
    4. I don’t think so
    5. Perhaps this day is better for Trummelbach Falls
    6. Have you looked into the Thrill Walk at Birg?
    7. We have a nice list here on activities and hikes that you can do in the Wengen area.
    8. Your route looks fine from Wengen to Montreux. You will be in Spiez by 06:21 (one hour ahead) and then Montreux by 10:13 which leaves you about 14 minutes to catch the train to Lausanne which should be fine – no running needed. There are plenty of trains to get you to Lausanne before 12:23 if you miss that one anyway!

I hope this helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2017 at 19:13:17 #866510

Thanks a lot Lucas for the response..

Yes I have got the answer to my Q1..I got the response just few mins after I posted the question in this forum.. 🙂

Thanks for the suggestion for my Q2.. I have replanned my trip to Jungfrau as below but need your suggestion on that : Wengen->Wengernalp by train (16 mins). Then walk from Wengernalp to Kleine Scheidegg (45 mins) and then to Jungfrau. Source: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/wengernalp-kleinescheidegg/route

While return: Jungfrau->Kleinne Scheidegg and then Walk to Mannlichen-> By cable car to Wengen.

Source: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg/route

My qustion : (1) Is this route good or I should just reverse my plan i.e. go to Jungfrau via Mannlichen and Return to Wengen via Wengernalp ??? Which way would be more sensible to do ?? I planned this route so that I can cover both hikes mentioned in my trip.

(2) I guess from Wengen till Kleinne Scheidegg my trip will be free since I have rail pass. No matter which ever way I take. From Kleinne Scheidegg to Jungfrau I will have to pay 75% of the fare. Am I right ??

(3) Schilthorn Trip route help..My plan is as below. Any modification please suggest.

(a)Wengen->Lautterbrunnen ( Walk around and cover Staubbach Falls)->Cable car to Grutschalp->Tran to Murren->Train to Birg( Enjoy famous thrill walk) -> Schilthorn

(b) Return Trip is as below : Schilthorn->Murren->Hike down to Gimmelwald->Cable car to Stechelberg->Walk down to Trummelbach falls->Then either bus or walk to Lauterbrunnen->Wengen by train

I would have like to do the http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg/route hike incase that way is more worth rather than my above planned route. I can take this way while going up to Schilthorn and return via Grutschalp incase this route is more scenic. Or any suggestions are welcome..

(4) While going to Schilthorn, till which station my journey is free ?? (Since I have a rail pass)..

Regards,

Sambeet

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2017 at 16:12:00 #866511

Hi Sambeet,

1. So Mannlichen is not on the way to Jungfraujoch, but you will go by Wengeralp as you head to/from Lauterbrunnen.
    2. You pay 75% of the ticket cost from Wengen to Jungfraujoch – prices for Jungfraujoch
    3. Yes that works. I can’t comment on the best hikes at Schilthorn as I haven’t done any – but another member can chime in with their comments hopefully!
    4. Which rail pass? Be sure to read through our page on Schilthorn here. Click on the Ticket tab to see rail pass discounts that are available

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 16:23:43 #866512

Hello Lucas,

Jungfrau Trip: I am planning to take Gondolas to Mannlichen and hike till Kleine Scheidegg then to Jungfrau with 25% off with my Swiss Rail pass (8 day pass). While return from Jungfrau Excursion, from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengener ALp by Walk and then to Wengen via train.

Schilthorn Trip: Wengen->Lauterbrunnen ->Cable car to to Grutschalp ->Murren->Birg( Enjoy famous thrill walk) -> Schilthorn.

Return via Murren->Gimmelwald->Stechelberg(cable car).Board a bus /Walk to the Trummelbach Falls, then walk from there to Lauterbrunnen so I can visit the Staubbach Falls as well..

Please note I am holding Swiss rail pass for 8 days..

Do you feel the plan is fine ?? Or need any major changes ??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 7:57:46 #866513

I think it is fine, be sure to be flexible with your hikes in regards to weather and how you feel that day but nothing is too strenuous. Enjoy your trip!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 8:12:57 #866514

Sure Lucas..Thanks a lot for all the responses..

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    13 July 2017 at 23:52:57 #866515

Hello Ronnywitty,

You mentioned cable car to Grutschalp then train to Murren — instead of the train you could take the panoramic walk from Grutschalp to Murren (just follow the signs). It’s a beautiful trail and for me this was one of the highlights of our trip. Takes about 1.5 hours. There’s a little restaurant at Winteregg on the way if you want a break, otherwise there are places to sit and enjoy the scenery en route to Murren.

In Murren , lunch on the terrace of Hotel Edelweiss is good, with fantastic views of the Eiger , Monch, Jungfrau. It’s another 15 minute walk to the cable car station for going up Birg/Schilthorn (discounted with Swiss travel pass, but still a bit pricey). Cable car going down to Stechelberg from Murren (and vice versa) is free with your pass.

The walk from Stechelberg station to Trummelbach falls is only about 30 minutes and is a pleasant one , just cross the bridge from the station and follow the signs (turn right after bridge). It’s a walk on a sandy portion by the small river, very nice, though you’ll hit the pavement after some time. It’s a nice view of the valley.

I think it’s about an hour’s walk from Trummelbach to Lauterbrunnen. You can either walk or take the bus to Lauterbrunnen. The Staubbach falls is not far from the train or bus station in Lauterbrunnen. (We took the train back to Lauterbrunnen via Murren–took the bus back to the Stechelberg station and went back upMurren and enjoyed the town without the crowd)

Re Mt Rigi on the 17th — depending on the time you get into Zurich and then to Lucerne, you might want to squeeze in the Mt Rigi trip on the first day. We did that, with still enough time to enjoy the other sights of Lucerne. You can do Mt Pilatus the following day also. So on the 17th you could leave for Wengen on an earlier train and make a stopover at Wilderswil and go up the Schynige Platte. It’s a slow scenic cogwheel train up the mountain and you can take short easy hikes at the top. Beautiful views up there. There’s an alpine flower garden on the mountainside en route to the walks. Just check the train schedules from Wilderswil to Wengen and plan around it. If you have luggage you can check them in at the wilderswil train station office or the use the lockers—the large one was CHF 7.00 and could fit three huge duffel bags. (We did this on our trip but on the way to Montreux from Wengen, but since you already have TGV tickets booked you won’t have time on the way to Lausanne). To me, the stopover to Schynige Platte was worth it, plus it’s entirely free with your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2017 at 18:58:28 #866516

Thanks a lot Yvette17 for such detail..It has helped me conclude most part of my plan…I will certainly try for Mt. Rigi on the 1st day( after 13 hours flight from India, I am not sure though if I will be able to do that but donot want to miss Schynige Platte as well ) and do the Schynige Platte trip on Sept 17th if its that much of worth.. 🙂

I need your comments on the Jungfraujoch trip as well..if you had visited during your trip !!

Regards,

Sambeet

Yvette17
    Participant
    19 posts
    18 July 2017 at 21:36:57 #866517

Hi Ronnywitty,

Re — long flight:

Ours was a 15 hour flight from the Philippines with a 3 hour lay over at Doha, and we managed just fine. Layovers are good breaks and can actually be less stressful than long straight flights, so make the most of your layover time if you have any on your flight itinerary from India. If it’s a straight flight then hopefully you could check-in early at your hotel so you can rest a bit. You’re much younger than we are so I think you’ll do great. Either way just be well-hydrated the entire time.

We arrived Zurich at 7 am and headed straight to Lucerne by train. Our hotel in Lucerne was close to the station, and there are many choices in the area, very convenient. We couldn’t check-in early so had to leave our luggage with the concierge and then we went around Lucerne sights , had lunch, and did the Classic route to Mt Rigi (we did check the weather first). It was a long day, but totally enjoyable even after a long flight from Asia.

Re–jungfraujoch

Sorry, we decided not to go up to the Top of the World upon reaching Wengen as we were more interested in scenic mountain vistas rather than snow. We also had limited time , but you will have three whole days at the Jungfrau region! You can actually squeeze in Schynige Platte into one of those days if you miss doing it en route from Lucerne, or do a hike from First to Schynige Platte, one of the other popular hiking routes ( information in this forum).

Other hikes–

If we had more time we would have liked to do the hike from First to the Bachsee, information on which I also found in this forum. I also was interested in the walk from Wilderswil to Zweilütschinen. The flower trail at Allmendubhel in the area of Murren also seemed interesting.

The tourist information office had info on other summer walking trails around Wengen; you can check whether these are okay for September (info@wengen.ch)

– Stäublissegg, short round walk

– Wengen to Wengernalp

– Hunnenfluh

– Staubbachbänkli

– Mönchblick

– Leiterhorn – big round walk

– Steinenwaldweg

We loved Wengen and we were happy to have based ourselves there rather than in Lauterbrunnen or Murren. I think the half-board option is usually good value because food all over Switzerland is expensive anyway. Ours was a 5-course meal for CHF 20 per person on half-board. One of our nights had a buffet dinner so it was quite a treat. There’s an Indian restaurant in Wengen if you like, but we didn’t try it.

Have a good time and enjoy your trip!

Zelisholiday
    Participant
    1 post
    19 July 2017 at 21:51:41 #866518

HI

I have just come back from Wengen where we took the 07:24 cog train up to Jungfraujoch. My advice is to watch the weather carefully. Even though we went so early, we didn’t finish until around 1pm as we went for the walk across the glacier to the workman’s hut which took an hour each way. It’s so expensive to Jungfrau that it’s worth getting the most out of the trip. The clouds came down mid morning and any visitors after that did not see the views we saw from the top over the glacier and couldn’t make the trip across the ice. The crowds and queues can be horrendous too so I would suggest planning your timing carefully the day before and go as early as possible. We got off the train at Kleine Scheidegg on the way down and took the Panoramic walk route to Mannlichen which is amazing for views and flowers. There is also the Romantic Walk from Mannlichen if you could manage some more which takes you through forest but we couldn’t manage that one. We then took the cable car back down to Wengen next to our hotel (6 minutes).

Trümmelbach falls near Lauterbrunnen inside the caves are well worth a visit.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 7:32:59 #866519

Hello Zelisholiday,

Good to hear that you have had a good time..Well my actual plan was to go to Mannlichen from Wengenand hike from there till Kleine Scheidegg then to Jungfrau with 25% off with my Swiss Rail pass (8 day pass). While return from Jungfrau Excursion, from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengener ALp by Walk and then to Wengen via train.

But from your point of view and experience I guess I should directly go to Kleini Scheidegg from Lauterbrunnen rather than hiking from Mannlichen. So that I can reach as early as possible and return by hiking to Mannlichen from Kleini Scheidegg ( though the views arenot that great this way ).

I will update my travel plan as above. Cannot risk clouds on Jungfrau by reaching late..

Re:Trummelbach falls – I will cover that on my Mt. Schilthorn trip..

Regards,

Sambeet

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 7:41:32 #866520

Hello Yvette17,

Your response has given me more confidence to do the Mt. Rigi on my first day itself..Mine is also a total of 14 hours flight from India including Layover at Abudhabi for 3 hours and reaching Zurick at 7 AM. I will leave for Lucerne straight away and checkin,freshenup and leave for for Mt. Rigi trip same day by targeting 10:30 AM to catch the boat to Vitznau. Hopefully will do fine. When did you start your trip ?? I will do local sightseeing same day if time and energy permits else will do Mt. Pilatus and local trip next day. And on 17th will leave for Wengen..

I hope my plan is not too impractical..

Regards,

Sambeet

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 July 2017 at 16:25:01 #866521

Hi Sambeet,

If you have the energy your plan would work. Provided that the weather is good enough to enjoy the views from the Rigi. If not, you can explore the town center and museums.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 2:00:47 #866522

Hi Sambeet,

>> reaching Zurick at 7 AM. I will leave for Lucerne straight away and checkin,freshenup and leave for for Mt. Rigi trip same day by targeting 10:30 AM to catch the boat to Vitznau.

Most hotels don’t permit check-in and access to your room before 2pm or 3pm, as your room is likely to be occupied until 10 am or 11 am and then has to be cleaned. They will usually allow you to leave your luggage there though.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 10:46:31 #866523

Hello Alpenrose666,

I hve spoken to the host about it and she has confirmed early checkin would be fine with her..So I hope that shouldnt be an issue with me. Else I will go as per my old plan..

Regards,

Sambeet

• The thread ‘Wengen 3 1/2 days trip – need final suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.