Wengen Hotel Schönegg – New management?

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 January 2016 at 18:06:36 #808315

I was checking availability at the Hotel Schönegg in Wengen at the beginning of the summer season. After their Spring break, during April and May, they open on June 3, 2016. However, I note that Herr Allenspach is not the manager any more.

Not sure, but maybe the former chef has bought it….Family Ogi….? Anyone – such as Kim – have any more information?http://www.hotel-schoenegg.ch/Willkomme n-in-Wengen.aspx

Slowpoke

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    25 January 2016 at 2:50:46 #847931

This was a planned transition I learned about last summer. Herr Allenspach is now in hotel management in Zurich but I do not know which hotel.

Caroline Ogi, the new hotel manager, is the daughter of highly respected and popular Swiss politician Adolf Ogi. Herr Ogi hails from Kandersteg and twice (1993 and 2000) was the President of Switzerland. He is also apparently quite the sportsman, serving as Special Adviser on Sport for Development and Peace to the United Nations Secretary-General for a number of years after his presidency and is still active in a non-profit dedicated to “peace through sports”. Having “eine Ogi” (an Ogi) return to the Bernese Oberland received quite a bit of news. Herr Adolph Ogi attended the welcome reception in Wengen.

Caroline’s husband, Sylvain Stefanazzi Ogi, is the new head chef.

Caroline and Sylvain both have a strong history of hotel & restaurant management

The former head chef of many years, Hubert Mayer, left a couple of years ago. Before Herr Stefanazzi Ogi’s arrival the head chef duties had been fulfilled by the head chef from the Dequeker family’s (owner of Schönegg since purchase from Herr Rene Berthod) resort hotel in South Africa.

I am looking forward to seeing the results of the changes during our trip this summer! And any input visitors before that time may have

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 January 2016 at 14:07:55 #847932

<<“is the daughter of highly respected and popular Swiss politician Adolf Ogi. Herr Ogi hails from Kandersteg “>>

Hi Kim –

Merci vielmals. I knew the name Adolf Ogi and that he was a member of the Bundesrat, but did not recall which canton he was from.

Sounds like an auspicious change in management.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Wengen Hotel Schönegg – New management?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.