Hiking in Wengen in Sept with a baby

• RachRiley
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 August 2019 at 16:12:51 #823500

My husband and I are staying in Wengen from 9th – 15th September and are bringing our 6 month old daughter. Usually we would be very active and do day-long hikes but are mindful of not overdoing it with the baby on board (although she is very used to, and loves, long walks in the carrier!)

We are thinking of doing the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk on one day, and then either carrying on walking back to Wengen or getting the cable car if necessary.

Another day we are planning on getting the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp and then walking to Mürren and on to Gimmelwald.

On one day we were hoping to do a paraglide (we will take it in turns as the baby doesn’t fancy that!)

Do these sound like sensible hiking suggestions? Would anyone recommend anything different, or any other manageable hikes if we can fit a third one in?

Finally, I would be grateful for a rough idea of what the weather will be like in early – mid September. I know that it can be very changeable but have no idea whether we should be packing shorts/t-shirts or waterproofs and fleeces (or all of the above!)

I have tried to work out the costs of travel (we have a car which we will leave in Lauterbrunnen so won’t need the train from the airport) and for 4-5 days of cable cars I think that paying as we go will be more cost effective than the Swiss Travel Pass or the Half Fare Pass. Does this sound about right? I don’t think that we will be doing the Jungfraujoch or the Schilthorn.

Thank you for any recommendations or suggestions that anyone has – we can’t wait!

• The thread ‘Hiking in Wengen in Sept with a baby’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.