Wengen, Jungfrau area Oct 21-25 activities

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 2:55:26 #813121

Hi!

We will be in Europe for the first time in October and part of our trip is a stop in Switzerland. We have booked our chalet in Wengen for Oct.21-25 (4 nights). We chose the area inspite of the forums I read saying Wengen will be a ”ghost town” starting mid October. We simply want to experience mountain views and see snow for the first time. Being from a tropical country, that alone is already a treat specially to my 9 yr old daughter! 🙂

However, being already in the area, we also want to make the most of our stay by doing a few activities. I did some research and I honestly am getting confused with the different transfer options, gondola rides, etc. May I ask more info on the following?:

1) We want to do the cliff walk and see the Bachalpsee lake. How do we get there from Wengen and how long will it take? I read that the gondola from Grindelwald to First might be closed already during the time of our visit. How true is that? If so, are there other alternatives?

2. Where can I bring my daughter to play in the snow a little bit, possibly some sledding? Are there easily reachable areas where we can play in the snow during our trip?

3. If the weather permits, we are considering going to Jungfraujoch but have been really contemplating whether its worth the price. May I have more inputs on this? My sister and cousins have been to Zermatt and Matterhorn and they have been telling me that I should have booked there instead (=; They have not been to Jungfrau region and have not even heard of it haha.. But I am not so keen on seeing the Matterhorn (wink)..

4. What other acitivities can you suggest, weather permitting?

Lastly, I have also read that most restaurants in Wengen will be closed mid October. Coop stores must be open right? Are there enough readily available meal selections in the Coop store in Wengen? Or are there any we can buy that we can cook such as meat/fish and vegetables?

Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 6:25:11 #869179

Hi Vicarpam and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I;m sure you will have a great time visiting Switzerland! Unfortunately some activities will be closed as you are coming in between seasons (hence the warnings about “ghost towns”.

1. The gondola to First is closed as of Oct.23 so you can can get up to First and hike to the Bachalpsee (if the weather is good) on your first two days.
    2. There may well be snow to play in once you are at the top of First. Your best bet is to go up to Jungfraujoch where there is a snow park. You can also go up to Schilthorn as well as it is operating while you are there. Jungfraujoch is open all year. Maintenance for many lifts and gondolas happen in October and November like the funicular between Murren and Allmendhubel so you may find limitations while you are there. Count on doing as much as you can on your first 2 days.
    3. Yes, Jungfraujoch is expensive! You can read more about the trip and activities to do there on our page link on #2. It is the most popular mountain (and expensive) to visit in Switzerland. You can’t actually go to/on the Matterhorn – you have to go to nearby mountains for the best views.
    4. Have a look at our activity pages for the following towns for some ideas on what to do: Wengen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Interlaken.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 11:45:25 #869180

HI there

If there is a microwave in your chalet, then you can choose from a wide variety of microwave meals in the Co-op! There is also a good selection of deli foods, vegetables etc. available. We used the Co-op extensively during the self-catering part of our holiday this year. I don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen when on holiday, hence choosing from their microwave range!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 4:03:57 #869181

Hi Lucas! Thank you for your reply. 🙂

I hope you wont mind me asking more questions and advice:

1. What is the shortest route (time wise) from Wengen to First?

Am I looking at the correct route here?:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/plan-book/timetable/?date=2017-10-22&from=Wengen&to=Grin delwald%2C+First+&date _localized=10%2F22%2F2 017&time=7%3A00&time_t ype=O&trip_type=T&clas s=2

or this?:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/plan-book/timetable/?date=2017-10-22&from=Wengen&to=Firs t+%28Grindelwald%29&da te_localized=10%2F22%2 F2017&time=7%3A00&time _type=O&trip_type=T&cl ass=2

2. We are considering Schilthorn as an alternative to Jungfraujoch.

a) What are travel options from Wengen? If the cable cars are already under maintenance during our visit, what are the alternatives?

b) Is there an area in Schilthorn where we can step on the snow, and play a little bit? 🙂

c) What are the possible stopovers and suggested activities before we go back to Wengen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 4:05:40 #869182

Thanks maggiehorsewell for your reply! Sounds good! Will take note of that!:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 5:46:15 #869183

Hi Vicarpam,

1. The Swiss railways timetable will always give you the quickest option by default. It about 1 hour 40 minutes. Your first link is not all the way to the top of First hence why it is 1 hour 3 minutes.
    2. Yes, that is a good alternative. If the cable cars are undergoing maintenance on Schilthorn you will need to try Jungfraujoch. There will be some snow on Schilthorn, but I don’t believe anything like the snow park at Jungfraujoch.
    3. From Schilthorn? The Thrill Walk at Birg is quite popular, as is a trip to Allmendhubel if the funicular is running.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 7:27:03 #869184

Hi!

So far, I have this itinerary:

Oct 22 – Wengen to First Grindelwald– Tissot Cliff walk; hike to Bachalpsee Lake

– Grindelwald (stroll)

– Back to Chalet in Wengen

Oct 23 – Wengen to Jungfraujoch

– from Jungfraujoch, stopover at Kleine Scheidegg for a few minutes

– Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen ; Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach Falls then back to Wengen

Oct 24: Daytrip to Bern or Thun or Zermatt?

Questions:

1) Is Thun worth a visit? or shall we go to Bern instead?

2) We also want to see Zermatt (for Matterhorn) for a day trip but would that be similar to the villages in Jungfrau area or completely different? is it worth seeing for a day trip?

Thank you!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 10:07:15 #869185

I think Bern and Thun are both good options! Bern if you are looking for a city trip, Thun if you want to see a smaller town with a lake and nearby castles.

With only 4 days I would lean towards not taking a day trip to Zermatt. But, if you really want to see the Matterhorn (the village itself is nice but not worth a trip from Wengen) I would go.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2017 at 5:52:33 #869186

Hi Lucas,

Here’s another option we’re thinking of doing for the 3rd day:

lake cruise from Interlaken to Thun, train to Bern, city stroll, then back to Wengen at night.

1) Is this doable time-wise?

2) Is there a link for boat schedules?

3) I’ve read about trying the steamboat. Is there a particular schedule for that? Does it run all day?

Another option would be to take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Spiez, lake cruise from Spiez to Thun, train from Thun to Bern then train back to Wengen at night.

4) Is there also a regular boat from Spiez to Thun? How long does it take? I presume this cruise will take shorter than starting from Interlaken, am I right?

Thanks!

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 September 2017 at 14:36:52 #869187

Hi Vicarpam,

1. Yes, that’s fine, but there are some boat timetable restrictions. Please see my point below.

2. Please see the link under ‘More on other websites’ at myswissalps.com/boatla kethun. Mind to select the timetable for October. Services are somewhat limited at that time of the year, and the first boat from Interlaken to Thun leaves no earlier than 12.10 with arrival in Thun at 14.20. It won’t get you that much time in Bern before dark, so if you’d rather spend a good portion of the day in Bern you can get an earlier boat that leaves from Spiez instead of Interlaken (only available on Sundays, Saturdays an public holidays though). Of course you can also get to Bern by train earlier and catch a boat on your way back.

3.As far as I know there are no steamboats operating in Fall.

4. Yes, if you hop on in Spiez the cruise will be shorter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 11:19:03 #869188

Hi Annika!

Thank you for your reply!

Thought of the following schedule . Please let me know your thoughts on this. 🙂

Early train from Wengen to Thun

Explore Thun a little bit

Then take the 11:40 am lake cruise from Thun to Spiez

Arrive Spiez at 12:26 pm then take the train to Bern

Explore Old Town Bern

Back to Wengen around 6 pm

Is this a feasible plan?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2017 at 14:11:05 #869189

Hi Vicarpam,

I don’t see why that wouldn’t be a nice day for you. You seem to have found all the schedules it just depends on how long you want to spend in Bern and when you want to get back to Wengen – but that’s up to you.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2017 at 6:37:13 #869190

Thank you very much Lucas!

• The thread ‘Wengen, Jungfrau area Oct 21-25 activities’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.