Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfrau-Grindelwald trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 16:11:11 #817737

This title was used by Rakubha in a thread in May, and I was hoping to get feedback on the proposal as it is exactly what I was planning to do, but no one ever exactly answered the options:

DAY 1:

Option 1 – Wengen-Mannlichen (Cable)- trail to Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfrau – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald (train or cable car better?) – Interlaken (train) – back to Wengen (by train after spend time at Interlaken)

or Option 2 –

Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (train)- Jungfrau – Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen (trail)-Grindelwald (cable car) -Interlaken (train) – back to Wengen (by train after spend time at Interlaken)

DAY 2

Going up:

Wengen à Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen à Grütschalp (Cableway 8, cable car)

Grutschalpà Mürren ( cogwheel train) Murren — (15 min walk to cable car station)Murren à Birg à Schilthorn (cable car)

Way back:

Schilthorn à Birg à Murren à Gimmelwald (3 cable car way down in 30 min)

OR Option 2

Walk from Murren à Gimmelwald (walk), eat lunch at Alpenruh Terrace Restaurant in Murren

Gimmelwald à Stechelberg (by cable car)

Stechelberg à Lauterbrunnen (by bus )

Wengen (by train)

Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 7:04:54 #893591

Hi Tcordz,

Day 1: I’d go with option 1 – better to hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg for the views. There is no cable car option from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald on your return, just the train.

Day 2: What is option 1 to return? I would return via Murren and Stechelberg from Schilhorn so as to not repeat the trip to Grütschalp.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 14:44:44 #893592

Thanks Lucas – that was the return I was thinking. Still working on fine tuning the two mountain trips. Alternative suggestions are certainly welcomed and much appreciated!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 August 2018 at 21:50:24 #893593

Hi Tcordz –

I certainly agree with Lucas’ ercommendation on the direction of the walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. I don’t think that you will find anyone who recommends the opposite.

However, if you try that in August, on a nice day, you might find lines/delays for the getting up to Jungfraujoch at Kleine Scheidegg by the time that you get there. September, generally not a problem. When are you going?

Even if you don’t find delays you won’t get to Interlaken until late it in the day, unless you spend very little time up top. Is there something specific that attracts you to Interlaken?

http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken

I’d suggest that you be flexible on the latter part of the trip. If you want to plan opt the timimgs, so that you undersatnd how long the travel parts will take, please check out the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That introductory page is useful; it helps to deal with the idiosyncracies of the timetable.

If by any chance you plan to come down to Grindelwald, then decide to go back up to Männlichen by cableway and down to Wengen the same way, please make sure that you check the schedules carefully. The cableways stop running in the late afternoon. You could return via Zweilütschienen instead.

map.search.ch/?pos=641497,162112&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,zug

For some reason, the name given by this map is Gundlischwand/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 22:24:15 #893594

Thanks Slowpoke. We are going in the third week in September so hopefully the crowds will have died down. I was looking at that very issue about Interlaken from the proposed schedule. I really don’t have a burning need to go to Interlaken. I am just looking to try and fit two full days into the trip – the only “locked in” portion is to make it to Schilthorn one day and Jungfraujoch the next. This might be our only chance in this part of the world, and we’d really like to make the most of it!

I would really appreciate any input you may have!

Thank you again!

TCordz

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 August 2018 at 22:55:22 #893595

<<“This might be our only chance in this part of the world, and we’d really like to make the most of it!”>>

Are you hikers?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 23:13:25 #893596

We enjoy hiking, but realistically difficult or very strenuous hikes would be a challenge. We are certainly all in for the “can’t miss ” opportunities (really looking forward to Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg), but I think my wife would kill me if I took her on a 4 hour trek at altitude 🙂

TCordz

• The thread ‘Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfrau-Grindelwald trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.