Wengen or Lauterbrunnen for Christmas atmosphere?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 11:13:44 #824529

Hi. We are coming down from Jungfraujoch mid December mid afternoon. We wish to stop off on way down to interlaken at a Swiss mountain village with atmosphere, snow and lights for Christmas. Would any one like to comment on which would be better, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen ? Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 12:07:06 #925569

Hello Tijoco,

Thank you for posting your question in a new thread, I appreciate that!

Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are both beautiful Swiss villages. Wengen tends to be more “up-scale” and a bit more pricey in comparison to Lauterbrunnen. I find Lauterbrunnen to be quaint, cozy and a charming Swiss village.

Wengen usually has more snow because it’s at a higher altitude than Lauterbrunnen, which sits between two walls of the valley. (Wengen sits above Lauterbrunnen) The Swiss aren’t too big on decorating their villages with Christmas lights in comparison to North Americans.

I would highly recommend “Ice Magic” while you are in Interlaken. Try ice skating at night, because the outdoor rink is lit up and they play music over the speakers. Overall it’s also a fun Christmas atmosphere.

Please read these links:

Wengen:

Lauterbrunnen:

Lastly, I have included a link with all the Christmas markets around Switzerland:

I hope that helps you out!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 13:30:36 #925570

Thank you. That was useful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2019 at 13:48:27 #925571

Hello Tijoco,

I am glad you find the information useful. Please feel free to write again in case you have more questions about your travels to Switzerland.

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Wengen or Lauterbrunnen for Christmas atmosphere?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.