Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Wengen, Schilthorn, Männlichen, First in March

Wengen, Schilthorn, Männlichen, First in March

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Jjones
Jjones
10 posts
Mar 4, 2020 - 1:15 PM

Thank you for all of your previous help. We have one little piece of our agenda that we are still trying to work out. We will arrive in Wengen from Lausanne at 11:49 am by train on March 20th (following the Golden Pass route from Montreux) and we can depart on the 22nd at anytime. We will be moving to Lucerne late in the day. Below is a list of things that we would like to see and do while in that region. I am having trouble figuring out the best sequence to do these things. We are early morning people so don't mind getting out and getting going in the morning.

1. Schilthorn (brunch at the revolving restaurant - do we need reservations for this?)- w/ quick stop at Birg - See Murren, Gimmelwald, Lauterbrunnen

2. Kleine Sheidegg w/ possible sledging back to Wengen (I understand this is a very easy route. Correct me if I am wrong because I am looking for a wimp route.)

3. "Grannies Walk" from Mannlichen to Kleine Sheidegg.

4. Mannlichen - Grindelwald - First (Cliff Walk and First Flyer)

Other things that are on our agenda:

The Pool Race in Wengen scheduled for the 20th from 12:00 - 6:00 pm looks interesting for a short stop and it is right across the street from the Arenas which is where we are staying.

We have a dinner reservation in Wengen at Sunstar Grillkota at 7:30 pm on the 20th.

CabinJon
CabinJon
154 posts
Mar 4, 2020 - 1:49 PM

We were there last October, so my comments may not be directly applicable to this month. However, we went to the Schilthorn, getting there about 10 am. Crowded on the way up but there did not appear to be any need for a reservation at the restaurant, just a short line. There is also a cafe area in case you want refreshment without sitting in the restaurant itself.

I doubt the Grannies Walk trail will be open in March.

Check the mountaintop weather cams before heading to the Schilthorn or other local peaks. Weather at top can be a bit different than in town. It can also change fairly rapidly. Our morning at Schilthorn was a bit cloudy but turned to brilliant sunshine at Kleine Scheidegg by lunchtime.

No input on your other questions. Have a good time.

Ildiko
Ildiko
978 posts
top member &
Mar 4, 2020 - 6:17 PM in reply to Jjones

Hi Jjones,

1) I recommend making a reservation at the restaurant at Schilthorn.

2) I think that sledging route from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is quite challenging, especially if you never tried sledging before. From Wengernalp to Wengen it can be a faster sledge ride. At this moment only the first part (from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp is open. The other parts Wengernalp - Allmendis - Wengen are closed due to the poor snow condition.) You can check the slope data at www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/slope-data/#grindelwald_wengen, look for "Tobogganing" and this route is also called as "Fox Run". Please also read: www.myswissalps.com/activities/snow.

3). I agree with CabinJon, a trail at that altitude (2000 m) usually opens only in June.

Also read:

Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020