Wengen to Murren and Murren Hike

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 23:59:09 #843214

<<“I’m curious, will you be in Switzerland early or late October?”>>

Here is a quote from one of her earlier posts:

<<“Please help me choose the best hotel in Wengen for 4 nights from 2 October to 6 October for a honeymoon couple out of these or any other.”>>

Seems like “early.”

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    24 May 2015 at 7:13:47 #843215

//Do you have any reasons that you would not do it in that order?//

Slowpoke: The reason I am keeping my options open is that if we spend too much time while hiking Mannlichen to KS, the afternoon might set in and we might lose the views of JFJ. Because I have heard the views of JFJ are best in the morning.

What are your views on this? Apart from doing a reverse hike from KS to Mann, is there another hike I can do on my way back?

Thank you for all the help.

P.S. the discussion on boots is very enlightening. I need to buy them 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 May 2015 at 8:22:14 #843216

Hi msra7hm2,

I think all the options have been discussed in detail here. Now it’s up to you to make a choice. I would recommend to make your final decisions based on the weather of the day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 May 2015 at 13:07:23 #843217

<<“P.S. the discussion on boots is very enlightening. I need to buy them 🙂 “>>

I think you can rent them in Wengen, or nearby, but I like have my own

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 May 2015 at 13:10:21 #843218

<<“What are your views on this? “> I agree with Arno.

Watch the weather and talk to your innkeeper and Wengen tourist info each day.

And, once you are there, and actually see what the terrain looks like, you may have stronger opinions about one or the other.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    25 May 2015 at 8:58:03 #843219

Where can I rent them in Wengen?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2015 at 11:30:11 #843220

Google search for –

Renting hiking boots in Wengen.

Also, in in Grindelwad.

You’ll get a lot of information.

Many places that rent ski equipment rent boots, but they mean ski boots. Make sure to check hiking boots.

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    25 May 2015 at 12:28:35 #843221

Interesting to read the banter further down this thread on whether to wear boots or not! I always wear my boots when going into any mountains for hiking without a 2nd thought!

Anyways, my question for this post concerns the photo of Mannlichen to KS from Wandermann. I understand it is a stroller friendly trail. This trail must not be as narrow then as it appears in this photo?? Planning on doing it with a stroller in July

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    25 May 2015 at 12:50:21 #843222

Hi skibill,I agree, it looks a bit narrow in the photo, but that is just because of the angle and distance. This trail is indeed stroller friendly… don’t worry! You’ll enjoy it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2015 at 13:33:04 #843223

<<“Hi skibill,I agree, it looks a bit narrow in the photo, but that is justbecause of the angle and distance. This trail is indeed stroller friendly… don’t worry! You’ll enjoy it”>

I think I’d do it downhill, from M to KS….. 😉 The altitude difference from one end to the other is about 170 meters.

Some parts are wider, a few get narrow. Here is the beginning. See attached.

If you look at a map, you’ll see that Männlichen Gipfel is the summit at Männlichen. It is reached by a short steep walk in the opposite direction from the walk to Kleine Scheidegg. The views from up there are nice. The climb is definitely not stroller friendly. 😉

I’ll see if i can find a few more from where it is narrow and attach them.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2015 at 14:05:57 #843224

Here are a couple more shots of the trail.

Nearing Tschuggen, it bears to the left.

Further along it goes down hill a bit more. The gravel on those sections can sometimes slow you down as you walk downhill. Lugged soles on your boots or hiking shoes help. A hiking staff helps , too.

Shots from two different angles give an idea of how the trail can look narrow from some angles.

If you are an experienced local runner, you can do this trail in light shoes, and you may see that. I like the ankle support of boots, myself.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Wengen to Murren and Murren Hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.