Wet weather activities & paragliding!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 15:41:07 #812126

We are 3 adults visiting Wengen for 7 days in mid July, two not so young parents and our youngest (adult) son! We stayed at the same lovely hotel in Wengen in 2015 & are hoping to have the same wonderful weather the we experienced then.

Bearing in mind that we might, this time, find our weather experience to be not so good, I was hoping that you might be able to suggest some places to visit that we could enjoy during some less clement weather. My stamina is a little limited at the moment as I was unwell through last year with a lot of treatment, fortunately now well again but not yet quite back to full strength.

We are going to buy the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass each which we think will give us the most flexibility and if we decide halfway during a day to abandon our plan & go in a different direction to do something else, then we are not wasting an already purchased ticket. We didn’t plan a rigid itinerary for our last visit & found that the freedom to choose where to go when we wanted to suited us very well. Most of our travelling will be in the Bernese Oberland area but we would, this time, like to visit Zermatt….we haven’t been there for 50 years!

Finally, our son has expressed a wish to do some paragliding, didn’t manage to fit it in on our last visit, so he’s not going to miss out this time! I think I remember seeing something in the Tourist Office in Wengen or should it be booked in advance? Probably better not to pre-book though in case of a murky day, and will we be able to go with him to watch & film him doing this?

Thanks in advance……this web site is brilliant!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 8:21:50 #864511

Hi Fleurette,

I agree that a flexible plan and a Swiss Travel Pass makes the most sense!
    From what I’ve heard, booking the paragliding once in the area (perhaps the day before your plans) would be sufficient. We have a paragliding company we list on our Interlaken activities page – you could contact them for more details. I don’t believe there is anyway for you to film this excursion with him unless you plan on going paragliding as well! I believe there is a GoPro option he can do so he has a camera mounted on his helmet to video the experience.

As for wet weather activities in the Jungfrau region – that can be a little tricky, it definitely is an outdoor-focused region! We have an activities list for the Bernese Oberland region hereLuzern and Bern would be the best towns for finding indoor activities: museums etc. We will cross our fingers for good weather!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 11:52:37 #864512

Hi Lucas

Thank you for your reply. I think our son will have to go alone to have his paragliding thrills & leave us behind to wait for him but I’ll mention the Go Pro to him. As to the wet or not so good weather, we are happy to take a train ride from Wengen and I wondered if there is a recommended museum or such that gives us an enjoyable visit inside so we can avoid a wet or misty day.

I rather like the idea of a chocolate experience, do any of the Swiss brands offer a tour (hopefully with a taster along the way)?

Thank you too for your reply about the luggage service on my other thread, looks as though the express service will be the one.

Fleurette

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 15:25:41 #864513

I’m not too sure on the museum options around Wengen and Interlaken areas – there is a few options listed here for Interlaken. Perhaps other members have some good ideas near Wengen.

There is the Cailler chocolate factory in Broc and you can take the Chocolate train there from Montreux – a bit of a long day from where you will be, but if the whole day looks like bad weather in Wengen you could do it.

Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 June 2017 at 9:43:44 #864514

The open air museum near in Ballenberg near Brienz would be nice for a cloudy day with a bit of rain. You will be doing some walking there so do take umbrella’s. With continuous rain it’s less ideal.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 10:38:16 #864515

Thank you Arno, this could be ideal. Is entry covered by the Swiss Travel Pass? We are going to buy this before we come to Switzerland.

Fleurettte

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 11:42:17 #864516

Hi Fleurette

Entry to Ballenberg is covered by Swiss Travel Pass, yes.

There are also some nice castles around Lake Thun at Spiez, Oberhofen and in Thun itself – you could combine one or two of these with a boat ride on the lake. Check the boat schedules here and see which castles you can fit in with the timetable. The boat also docks at Beatushohlen where you could visit the caves.

If the weather is cloudy but not heavy rain, consider the gorge walk at Aaresschlucht– very atmospheric.

I am not very good at creating links so perhaps Arno can oblige by creating the appropriate ones for my suggestions!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 12:30:40 #864517

Links added to Maggie’s post.

Here is the link to show you what routes (PDF map) and major attractions are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, and here is a link for the museums that are also covered.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 17:18:04 #864518

Just wanted to thank you Maggie & Lucas for your help. Don’t mean to be negative about the weather, we had simply wonderful weather in Switzerland in 2015 but we are English & the weather is a necessary topic in the UK!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 5:13:58 #864519

No worries!

I’m from Vancouver, Canada which is basically a rain forest so I’m well aware of the issue!
    Compared to Vancouver or the UK it basically doesn’t rain in Switzerland. haha.

Here’s hoping that holds when you are here!

• The thread ‘Wet weather activities & paragliding!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.