Best areas of Switzerland to visit in May?

Best areas of Switzerland to visit in May?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
DD516
DD516
2 posts
May 16, 2018 - 1:27 PM

I have been to Switzerland before and mainly stayed in the Lauterbrunnen Valley area. We are returning with my family of 6, all adult children, and again staying in Gimmelwald for 4 nights to explore the area. We will go on to stay in Lucerne for 1 or 2 nights, but trying to decide what other areas we should visit for a couple of days. Any thought on Lugano, versus Valais region (Zermatt), Appenzell and now I have read so many things good about the Engandine Valley area. Any recommendations? Also, how does weather at the end of May factor in to this decision?

Lucas
Lucas
8878 posts
expert &
May 16, 2018 - 6:19 PM in reply to DD516

Hi DD516 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lots of great regions to explore in Switzerland isn't there! We can't give you advice on what area is better than another without knowing your interests. Are you wanting any mountain trips after your stay in Gimmelwald and Lucerne?

I'll guess no.

In that case in May I think the Ticino region is a great option - the weather should cooperate and the culture (Italian) and landscape is quite different than anywhere else in Switzerland.

I made a weekend trip to Lugano and the surrounding area at the end of March - read about it here to see if it appeals to you.

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 16, 2018 - 11:18 PM in reply to DD516

>> I have read so many things good about the Engandine Valley area ... how does weather at the end of May factor in to this decision?

May is not a good time to visit the Engadin. All of the mountain transport in the St Moritz area, except for the Diavolezza cable car, will be closed for maintenance. Many hotels, restaurants and shops will also be closed.

Alpenrose

Last modified on May 16, 2018 - 11:18 PM by Removed user
DD516
DD516
2 posts
May 17, 2018 - 3:49 AM

Thank you! Both replies have helped make a decision. I think we are going to visit the Ticino region!

Lucas
Lucas
8878 posts
expert &
May 17, 2018 - 5:20 AM in reply to DD516

I think you'll enjoy it!

Happy travels

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018