Best areas of Switzerland to visit in May?

• DD516
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 May 2018 at 13:27:38 #816021

I have been to Switzerland before and mainly stayed in the Lauterbrunnen Valley area. We are returning with my family of 6, all adult children, and again staying in Gimmelwald for 4 nights to explore the area. We will go on to stay in Lucerne for 1 or 2 nights, but trying to decide what other areas we should visit for a couple of days. Any thought on Lugano, versus Valais region (Zermatt), Appenzell and now I have read so many things good about the Engandine Valley area. Any recommendations? Also, how does weather at the end of May factor in to this decision?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 18:19:55 #885448

Hi DD516 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Lots of great regions to explore in Switzerland isn’t there! We can’t give you advice on what area is better than another without knowing your interests. Are you wanting any mountain trips after your stay in Gimmelwald and Lucerne?

I’ll guess no.

In that case in May I think the Ticino region is a great option – the weather should cooperate and the culture (Italian) and landscape is quite different than anywhere else in Switzerland.

I made a weekend trip to Lugano and the surrounding area at the end of March – read about it here to see if it appeals to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 23:18:04 #885449

>> I have read so many things good about the Engandine Valley area … how does weather at the end of May factor in to this decision?

May is not a good time to visit the Engadin. All of the mountain transport in the St Moritz area, except for the Diavolezza cable car, will be closed for maintenance. Many hotels, restaurants and shops will also be closed.

Alpenrose

DD516
    Participant
    2 posts
    17 May 2018 at 3:49:41 #885450

Thank you! Both replies have helped make a decision. I think we are going to visit the Ticino region!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 5:20:40 #885451

I think you’ll enjoy it!

Happy travels

• The thread ‘Best areas of Switzerland to visit in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.