Cheap transport for 7 ppl: Zurich to Lucerne/Bern

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 18:02:35 #812308

Hi,

There are a total of 7 of us staying in zurich. We planned to have daytrip to lucerne and berne. What is the most ideal cheap transportation to get around Zurich, lucerne and berne? Can I buy supersaver return tickets from zurich to lucerne and berne?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 9:13:34 #865328

HI Alexandra and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It depends on how much use of trains and local transit you intend to use.
    If you are staying in downtown Zurich you may find you can walk everywhere but you could also buy a ZurichCard for you stay there.

For trips out of the city, you could look at Supersaver tickets where available (sometimes they are convenient and sometimes not). Read more about them here.

You could also look at the Swiss Travel Pass which will cover local transit in all 3 towns as well as the trains between them and many local mountains and museums – read more about it here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2017 at 17:25:22 #865329

Hi,

I really appreciate for the reply. I have other queries. Is it possible to use pounds to buy swiss pass at zurich airport? Is the three days swiss pass based on 72 hours or days? For example if i first use it on 7.7.2017 11am, will it last till 10.7.2017 11am?

Many thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2017 at 21:00:58 #865330

Hi Alexandra,

Payment with cash in GPB? I’m afraid that won’t be possible. And if it is it will be very expensive as they will have to exchange it to Swiss francs. The easiest way is to buy the pass online (see here) and print it yourself. That saves time at the airport.

Please see the “How to use” tab on the Swiss Travel Pass page Lucas linked to. It explains about the validity of the pass.

Note that you need a Swiss Travel Pass, not a SwissPass which is for residents only.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 12:17:54 #865331

Hi Alexandra,

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid for 3 days – So if started on July 7, it is valid on July 7, 8 and 9 only.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2017 at 21:11:06 #865332

Your advice really helped a lot. Thank you.

• The thread ‘Cheap transport for 7 ppl: Zurich to Lucerne/Bern’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.