Jul 31, 2011 - 6:40 AM
Me and my husband are traveling to Switzerland on Aug, 26 till Sep, 1 and then we move to Italy. We will be in Switzerland for 7.5 days and in Italy for 7.5 days.
We plan to visit Zurich (land in Zurich early morning Aug, 26), Schauffhaussen Rhine Falls area, Lucerne - Mt. Titlis, Lake Lucerne area, Interlaken, Geneva (if possible), Zermatt - St. Moritz. Then, we go to St. Moritz to Tirano (Italy). Then to Venice in Italy.
FYI - In Italy, we go to Venice, to Florence to Pisa to Rome (final destination, then we fly out on Sep, 9.)
My questions are:
1. Should I buy Swiss Pass for 2 (Swiss Saver Pass)? If yes, would it be cheaper to buy when we are there or on Zurich Airport or we should order from here (we are located in Dubai)?
2. Does the Swiss pass allow us to travel from Switzerland border to Italy? If yes, which route would be best or what are the options/routes we could take that will be covered by this pass?
3. Do I have to buy scenic tour separately or just buy Swiss Pass and make reservations for the scenic routes? Is it difficult to get reservations around Aug, 26 till Sep, 1?
4. Does the Swiss pass allow travel to and from the stations I have mentioned above? what about within the city? I saw the Swiss map but unfortunately, I do not understand if the boat rides within the city (like on Lake Lucerne) are all covered.
4. This one I am not sure if it pertains to this forum - Can anyone tell me if there is any Italy pass that could come out cheaper or point to point ticket is better? We go from Switzerland (not sure which city to go from) > Venice > Florence > Pisa> Rome.
Any help would be deeply appreciated. I checked out Rail Europe site and I am really not sure if Euro 456 for 2 people, Swiss Pass for 8 days is the best and I need to confirm before I book it online. They say they have offer till July 31 so I can get a discount of Euro 20 on this purchase??