Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  What ID documents to buy the Junior travelcard?

What ID documents to buy the Junior travelcard?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Posts: 4
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
5 posts
new member
Jul 5, 2019 - 10:49 AM


We are travelling from the UK and would like to buy junior rail cards at Tirano station. Apart from passports what official documents should we bring for our children and ourselves? We don't have family books in the UK. If we bring birth certificates would photocopies be acceptable?

Thank you !


7919 posts
Jul 5, 2019 - 11:40 AM in reply to LisaG

I would say passports would be sufficient assuming your kids have their own passports.

SBB says ”When purchasing your first Junior travelcard, please bring passports for all relevant people, another official ID or a family record book with you. Both the child’s personal details (especially their date of birth) and those of the parents will be checked.”

I read that to mean passport OR another official ID OR a family record book.

Last modified on Jul 5, 2019 - 11:43 AM by rockoyster
6110 posts
expert &
Jul 5, 2019 - 5:00 PM

Hi Lisa,

I think Rockoyster is correct. Passports should be sufficient. If your children don't have any, I think birth certificates are fine as well. I'm not sure about copies though. If you're still in doubt, you may want to contact the SBB just to make sure.

5 posts
new member
Jul 6, 2019 - 6:14 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you both ! I see it now, I had read that paragraph from SBB as a passport and another doucument but I think you are right, it's all in the comma. I will double check with SBB but that makes it much more straightforward. Very excited to be visiting the Swiss Alps for the first time.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019