Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  What is a GA travel card?

What is a GA travel card?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Posts: 3
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
1 post
new member
Jan 7, 2016 - 3:34 AM

Hi, anyone can help to answer?

What is GA travel card? Is it apllied to foreign visitor? Is the way of usage similar as Swiss Travel Pass?


Vickie Tao

14125 posts
expert &
Jan 7, 2016 - 5:21 AM in reply to Vcmt0725

Hi Vickie, welcome to MySwissAlps,

The GA travel card allows Swiss citizens unlimited traveling by public transport for a year. As a tourist, you need a different kind of pass. You can find them here. The Swiss Travel Pass is one of your options. It also allows unlimited traveling and is indeed similar to the GA.

6933 posts
Jan 7, 2016 - 3:43 PM in reply to Vcmt0725

Hi Vickie -

Arno explained it.

GA stands for General Abonnement, if my French spelling is correct. ;-)

Do you expect to be in Switzerland for more than one month or more than one time per year? If so, it is possible to get a 1 year, 2 year, or 3 year half-fare travel pass, provided that you have a mailing address in Switzerland and a digital photograph of prescribed size and details for an on-line application. The cost for a year is not a whole lot more than the cost of a 1 month half fare card.

It is called a Halb-Abo, Halb Abonnement, or for short, a Halb-Tax. (Halb is german for 'half" of course.)

That is what I use, because I visit Switzerland 2 to 3 times per year. I use the mailing address of a friend Canton Obwalden.

Gotta have that Swiss mailing address, though.

I don't know what the requirements are for a GA. Arno mentioned Swiss citizenship.


More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019