What is the best way to see Mt Pilatus in March?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2019 at 7:50:00 #819967

I am having trouble finding the specifics for getting from Lucerne to the “top” of Mt. Pilatus. I am looking for details, ie., from Lucerne train station – travel by train to XYZ station; transfer to the XYZ bus/train/gondola, etc. Additionally, from Lucerne – approximately how much time should I plan?

Can someone help me with this?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2019 at 8:32:17 #904424

Hi CLSG,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

This link will provide you with lots of input regarding Mount Pilatus:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

In March you can only visit Mount Pilatus from one side, as the cogwheel train doesn’t operate in the winter/spring months and the Golden Round Trip is thus not available.
    You would go with the bus from Lucerne to Kriens and take the cable cars from there to Pilatus Kulm, descending the same way.

Use this link for timetables: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It will take bite more than an hour to get from Lucerne to the top of Mount Pilatus.

Hope this helps you.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 0:58:13 #904425

Steph,

Thank you for the reply. Can you add more details? This is my first trip to Switzerland.

“the bus from Lucerne to Kriens” – what are the names of the bus stations? Is there a name for the bus company? is it part of SBB?

“take the cable cars from there to Pilatus Kulm” – where is the cable car station? what is it called? do i book in advance?

“descending the same way” – do I buy round trip tickets? or segment tickets?

thank you for your guidance,

Carmen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2019 at 9:32:16 #904426

Hi Carmen,

You need to take Bus No. 1 from Luzern bus terminal (in front of main train staion) to Kriens Zentrum with the Lucern City public bus.
    You then follow the signs guiding you clearly from the bus stop to the Pilatus cable car base station (blue arrows).

There are two legs of cable car ride to the top of Mount Pilatus (calles Pilatus Kulm) which are:
    1. Kriens – Krienseregg (possible stopover if wanted) – Fränkmüntegg
    CHANGE cable car and stopover
    2. Fränkmüntegg – Pilatus Kulm

You can buy an individual roundtrip including all the required tickets in the “packages” section of the Pilatus page or at any SBB counter.

Hope this answers your questions. If not, get back to us.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘What is the best way to see Mt Pilatus in March?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.