What is the border town for Switzerland/Austria

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:02:18 #816232

Working very hard for a reasonable time train trip from Zurich to Prague, and found a route offered by cd.cz website that go through Switzerland and Austria border via Buchs and Feldkirch.

If and when I purchase the ticket, should I specify Buchs or Feldkirch as my start of journey ? Reason for asking is the website dont give me the price if start from Buchs, but a price if I start from Feldkirch. And I do not know if the Swiss Travel Pass is valid to Buchs or Feldkirch.

Any help most appreciate.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:17:16 #886353

The border is considered to be Buchs. That’s where the STP is valid to. From there you travel through Lichtenstein to get to Feldkirch in Austria.

Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:18:23 #886354

Your Swiss Travel Pass is only valid as far as Buchs SG, so you need a ticket from there to Prague.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:23:53 #886355

I have a look into the Swiss Travel Pass map again and noticed the name ‘Feldkirch’, but not ‘Buchs SG’. Does that mean the Travel pass actually valid to travel to ‘Feldkirch’ ?? Just curious because I am unable to get any train fare quote from Buchs to Prague, but I am able to get Feldkirch to Prague pricing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:31:46 #886356

rockoyster, I do read the link you mentioned, and I tried all the booking sites and none of them gave me results, which I the reason why I try to ask the question here !! KL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:39:30 #886357

>> I have a look into the Swiss Travel Pass map again and noticed the name ‘Feldkirch’, but not ‘Buchs SG’. Does that mean the Travel pass actually valid to travel to ‘Feldkirch’ ??

If travelling by train, the Swiss Travel Pass is only valid as far as Buchs SG, definitely no further. See attached screenshot of the Swiss Travel Pass validity map showing the location of Buchs SG.

The Swiss Travel Pass is only valid to Feldkirch if you get off the train at Buchs SG and get a (Swiss) PostBus to Feldkirch.

You could then get a train (run by ÖBB, Austrian Railways) from Feldkirch to Prague.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:43:46 #886358

I see, RED for train and YELLOW for bus. Got it. Many thanks. KL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 7:45:18 #886359

>> RED for train and YELLOW for bus

Yep, that’s it!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 8:27:26 #886360

I don’t know if you want to get off a train in Buchs SG and bus to Feldkirch to take another train onwards to Prague….but you can.

The train sites from the link from Rockoyster do offer tickets from Buchs SG – did you try those?
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/aus tria/price

I just used the link from ACPRail and it gave me results from Buchs SG.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 8:46:53 #886361

Yes ACPRail did gave the result of EU$155 for Buchs to Prague, but the cd.cz website between FeldKirch and Prague is EU$18, and I assume the cost between Buchs and Feldkirch wont be EU$137 for one station. As a result I take the ACPRail fare is not logical and incorrect, that’s why I exclude it from my consideration/selection.

Looks like I might need to consider flying as Swiss Air charge around EU$100 oneway, and I need to get in/out of airports !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 8:58:35 #886362

I’d go with the 18 euro option for sure. 🙂

Happy travels

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 9:07:50 #886363

I know, and I struggle to sort out the Buchs to Feldkirch leg, how to get there ontime 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 9:46:20 #886364

>> I struggle to sort out the Buchs to Feldkirch leg, how to get there ontime

To search for connections to get you to Feldkirch using the train to the border and then the PostBus to Feldkirch, use the Swiss Timetable and put in From Zürich – To Feldkirch – via Schaan, Zentrum. When putting in the date and time, change the indicator from Dep (departing) to Arr (arriving) and put in the time you want to arrive at Feldkirch.

The best connections might be via Sargans (Bus 11) rather than Buchs SG.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 May 2018 at 10:20:56 #886365

Hi Etravel,

The page http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria/pri ce now lists https://www.trainline. eu/search too. You may want to try with them as well, I just got prices from € 39.90 for a random date (June 22). Personally I would prefer the options with less changes though.

€18 is an unbelievably low price for that distance. Do make sure you’re not booking reservations only, or a fare for a discount card you don’t have.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 10:41:51 #886366

Thanks for all your input, I think I finally got something more conclusive but still prefer to have someone like you guys helping me to verified.

From the OBB site, I found the following:

08:40 Zurich depart (EC163)

12:11 Innsbruck arrival

12:17 Innsbruck departure (RJ563)

15:14 Linz arrival then change train to Prague direct.

I can book the sector Buchs SG to Linz from the OBB website for EU$24,

then I book the sector Linz to Prague from CD.CZ website for EU$18 (sorry my mistakes previously the $18 is for Linz to Prague only !!)

So will this work ? Zurich to Buchs using STP, Buchs to Linz on EC163 (same train leaving from Zurich) with ticket purchased from OBB to cross the border ?

Lastly, the change time in Innsbruck only got 6 mins, is that enough with luggage ? Anyway to find out what platform from and to in advance ? I dont like too many train changes as well in case of delays but this seems to be the best option I can work out so far.

Thanks again for all your help. KL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 14:17:15 #886367

Hi Etravel,

It all sounds good on my end. Usually the SBB timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable will show you but for your trip is doesn’t show the arriving platform for some reason just that you depart on 6.

But the OBB timetable shows you coming in on platform 7 and out on 6 so no worries there!

• The thread ‘What is the border town for Switzerland/Austria’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.