What pass covers all rides in Jungfrau area?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2016 at 18:29:16 #810148

We are renting a car in Basel. Staying in Interlaken for 4 nights. Will a Swiss Travel pass cover all our travel needs up the Jungfrau stops and the Schilihorn?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 September 2016 at 18:44:09 #856154

Hi bwilli,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! There is no pass covering all rides, but several cover a lot for free and discounts on the rest. You’d better have a look at the maps. Just check the “Where it’s valid” tab of the pass pages, e.g.:

As you can see on those pages the last two passes are not available all year round. When do you travel?

Note that most of the Jungfrau region is car free, so if that’s your main interest you might be better off not renting a car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2016 at 19:51:19 #856155

Thank you for your reply. I have worked on this for two days. We will be in Interlaken Oct. 3-7. There are 2 adults. We want to see Murren and Wengen. We also want to see the falls in Lauterbruen. My husband wants to go to the Jungfrau top. If time we want to go over to Schilthorn. Maybe a 1/2 day trip to Thun or Spitz. Are the boats still running? We are not hikers so need the transportation to see things. What pass would be best.? We could cancel our car in Basel but need to be back there by the 7th to catch a river cruise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2016 at 0:54:29 #856156

My family of five adults were in the interlaken area for seven days in July 2016. The Bernese Oberland Pass was the best for us. You have to pay for the Jungfrau separate from any pass, but needed reservations in July to make sure you got on a train in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe not in October. We went to the Schilthorn, Murren, Lauterbrunnen Falls, Interlaken, Thun, boat to Brienz with the train back and many other places that required cable cars, chair lifts, Verniculars, Cogwheel, buses, trains, etc. We stayed in Gimmelwald and Grindelwald. This pass covered just about everything and saved us lots of money and time wasted standing in lines. Look hard at the Bernese Oberland Pass before you decide. We thought it was the best for cost and ease of use. Have fun.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2016 at 3:54:07 #856157

Thank you wilburvon. Your reply was the best. Can I buy the Bernese Oberland Pass at the train station in Interlaken? I’m afraid the 5 days needed to mail it to me is too close.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 September 2016 at 6:47:28 #856158

Hi bwilli,

You can get the pass in Interlaken, Bern or order it through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/regional berneseoberlandpass and collect it at the airport in Basel if you think shipping to your home address is too tight. Actually, since a car won’t be necessary, you could buy the 6 day pass and make maximum use of it: you can buy a regular ticket from the airport to Bern. That’s where the pass covers the rest of the ride to Interlaken and your day trips. On the way back you could consider traveling from Interlaken to Lucerne via the Golden Pass line. Again that would be free with the pass. From there you need a regular ticket back to Basel. That’s how I would do it anyway. A car would limit your options in this case. It would be parked most of the time while you pay for the rent and the rail pass.

If you buy the pass in advance or collect it in Basel you save time as you don’t have to get off the train in Bern, go to a ticket office, and wait for the next train.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2016 at 12:05:47 #856159

We started using them in Lucerne, but as suggested elsewhere, you can buy it in Berne. We were coming from Germany by train, without any pass, staying overnight in Lucerne before going on to Interlaken. Three of us bought an eight day pass because we were staying longer than the other two. They bought six day passes and both ways worked out fine for the family. We bought them in advance and merely activated them in Lucerne the next morning, but you can buy them at the train stations. Have fun.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2016 at 12:08:33 #856160

Forgot to mention we bought the passes on the internet from the States and they were sent to us via mail, but you don’t have enough time to do that possibly. The other reply on how to get them will work fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2016 at 16:40:45 #856161

Thank you for all the replies. We are in our 70’s so don’t want to get off the trains for passes. We also will have large suitcases for our river cruise clothes. The car is an added expense but we may stop in towns coming and going to Basel. As long as we can get the pass in Interlaken, we will be good. I can see how a younger person could use the train all the way. Does the train station in Interlaken take credit cards or must I bring Swiss Francs for that.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 September 2016 at 16:49:30 #856162

All the stations and websites take credit cards, no problem!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2016 at 17:51:03 #856163

Thank you for setting up this forum. We were going crazy not knowing how things work. Last time in Switzerland we were on Eurail passes and didn’t have much to worry about. Now if the weather will cooperate it should be a great trip Thanks to all the others who also wrote.

• The thread ‘What pass covers all rides in Jungfrau area?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.