Rail pass for 5 days Zurich-Murren-Lucerne-Venice?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 12:43:07 #814589

We are four seniors who will need to travel from Zurich to Murren, then Murren to Lucern, then Lucern to Venice. all by train. We will be staying 2 nights in Murren and two in Lucern, then leave on day 5 for Venice. If I get the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass, what is the best way to start it. Do I buy a single pass from Zurich to Murren, then start the Swiss Pass, or do I start it from Zurich and buy a single pass when I leave Lucern to travel one way to Venice?

Please help me figure out which pass we should get and when to start it.

Thank you so much.

Suebarrie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2018 at 16:19:02 #877591

Hi Suebarrie and welcome to MySwissAlps!

To know for sure the best pass for your itinerary you’ll need to do the math on your first and last travel days to see which is the cheaper option (Zurich airport to Murren OR Lucerne to Chiasso – which are the Swiss border town).

I would imagine the first trip is a touch more expensive but it could be close. You can buy point to point tickets within Switzerland here (so you don’t need to worry about it at the airport).

You can find a spreadsheet on our web page: how to choose the best rail pass to help you.

You can buy tickets from Switzerland to Italy here (you only need to buy a ticket from the border town as your Swiss Travel Pass would cover you until then – assuming you use it on the last day.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 5 days Zurich-Murren-Lucerne-Venice?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.