Swiss etiquette – what not to do/do in Switzerland

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 July 2018 at 8:33:33 #890681

Thanks. Now I understand

I think we’d ask – ‘Will I be the odd man out?”

or say, “then I’d be the odd man out.”

On the trains you will not be.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 6:36:10 #890682

Thank you Slowpoke Sir for correcting me, although in frequent english speaking, its all becomes fine not to its perfection though. In continue with food habit and considering vegetarian and hence, it be bit difficult to get vegetarian food everywhere, so we are thinking of purchasing some local fruits with us while going either for mountain hiking in around luzern and for sight seeing or travelling by local trains… We generally avoid cold storage fruits and rather love to have seasonal fruits which tends to be more fesh….So my question is for last week of Nov visit, which such seasonal fruits be better to carry with us which we can purchased from therein local supermarket or grocery stores?? Yours all valuable advice be highly be appreciates….thanks and regards

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 July 2018 at 8:44:05 #890683

Hello Naseer and anybody interested in road safety.

The Swiss are a nation of tunnelers. Because of the uneven terrain, they have become experts in everything to do with things underground, from road tunnels to rail tunnels to the 27 kilometre tunnel at CERN, not to mention the bomb shelters and underground military installations. The longest railroad tunnel in the world, 57 kilometres in length, runs under the Gotthard, carrying about 350 trains a day. But my concern is that people driving vehicles should be aware of the dos and don’ts of driving in the 468 Swiss tunnels with a combined length of 403 kilometres. So, I have started a new thread entitled Safety in Road Tunnels in Switzerland.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 July 2018 at 9:05:16 #890684

Hi Hansaria –

<<“Thank you Slowpoke Sir for correcting me, although in frequent english

speaking, its all becomes fine not to its perfection though.”>>

Sure – practice makes perfect, and if we don’t understand, we can always ask, as I did. You are doing very well and we can understand what your questions are. It is difficult to use a language that is not your everyday tongue., and you communicate effectively.

<<“considering vegetarian and hence, it be bit difficult to get vegetarian

food everywhere, so we are thinking of purchasing some local fruits with

us while going either for mountain hiking in around luzern and for

sight seeing or travelling by local trains… We generally avoid cold

storage fruits and rather love to have seasonal fruits which tends to be

more fresh….So my question is for last week of Nov visit, which such

seasonal fruits be better to carry with us which we can purchased from

therein local supermarket or grocery stores?”>>

Vegetarian food in general is widely available in Switzerland. It is rare to find a restaurant menu (or Coop or Migros take-away food) that does not offer at least one vegetarian option. Many Swiss are vegetarians, and many visitors as well. The Swis want their visitors to enjoy there visit. More refined versions..such as the Jain diet…may be more difficult to find.

I almost never travel to Switzerland in November, although I used to do that many years ago when I traveled on business. These days I visit in May, September, and sometimes December for the Christmas Markets. So, I don’t know what fruits you will find in the stores. In general terms, I have found the fresh foods to be of very high quality, and expensive by the standards of the USA. At that time, they will be grown in Southern Europe, most likely, and imported. Or, in greenhouses/hothouses, comm0n in the Netherlands, for instance.

Some of the Forum members are Swiss residents and can probably give you more information.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 July 2018 at 9:07:29 #890685

<<“So, I have started a new thread entitled Safety in Road Tunnels in Switzerland.”>>

Hi Peterli –

Great idea. I always find it stressful to drive through the tunnels that do not have a barrier between the traffic moving in opposite directions, so anyu hints will be useful for me.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2018 at 6:35:07 #890686

Hello Peterli,

When comparing the length of the Gotthard Base Tunnel don’t forget en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Line_3_(Guangzhou_Metro).

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 July 2018 at 7:41:55 #890687

Hello,

I was beginning to wonder where you were ! For the past half hour or so I have been reading all about Guangzhou (the old Canton). I knew nothing about their metro system, but am not surprised one bit. I recently watched a video about the railroad line the Chinese have built all the way to Lhasa. Apparently Line 3 has been open for a number of years and I read that all of the stations are underground. I also read that when the line is complete it will run for over 84 kilometres !

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 July 2018 at 19:55:19 #890688

Back to the topic of etiquette, when there is limited or no remaining seats on a public conveyance, particularly on trams and city buses, it is customary for young or younger people to offer their seat any time a person who is older embarks. This also applies to people who have physical handicaps.

This politeness and consideration also applies to holding any door open for an older or handicapped person.

If you are on the other end of this, and somebody offers you his or her seat or holds a door open for you, make sure you smile and say “merci“. In Suisse Romande, the reply will be “service“.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2018 at 20:02:08 #890689

Servus Peterli –

<<‘In Suisse Romande, the reply will be “service”.”>>

Is there any relations hip between the two words?

I note that “servus” is used in at least one romance language – Romanian.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Servus

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 July 2018 at 22:41:37 #890690

Hello Slowpoke,

I followed your link to the word “Servus” on Wikipedia. It sounds like the word “is a salutation used in many parts of Central and Eastern Europe. It is a word of greeting or parting like the Italian “Ciao“.” This is not what a Romand is saying when saying “Service”. It is a response to somebody thanking him/her. “Service” is just a quick way to say “a pleasure to be able to help“. In America, I suppose you would say “you’re welcome” if somebody thanks you for holding the door of giving them your seat. Think of “service” in the same way.

There are many other uses of the word “service”, most of which are of little concern to a tourist visiting Romandie. However, you may have seen “service compris” or “service non-compris” which in a restaurant means the tip is included in the bill, or not included. This is more elegant than using the word “pourboire”. Once in a while, one might encounter “hors service” which means “out of order”. The other French alternative would be “en panne”. As you know, usually when things are hors service in Switzerland they don’t stay that way for long.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2018 at 23:06:33 #890691

<<” It is a response to somebody thanking him/her. “Service” is just a quick way to say “a pleasure to be able to help”. In America, I suppose you would say “you’re welcome” if somebody thanks you for holding the door of giving them your seat. Think of “service” in the same way.”>>

That’s what I thought, too.

However, this phrase on the etymology caught my eye-

<<“The phrase is an ellipsis of a Latin expression servus humillimus, domine spectabilis, meaning “[your] most humble servant, [my] noble lord”. No subservience is implied in its modern use, which has the force of “at your service”. [1]”>>

And, since I don’t understand any French, and you live there, you’re expertise is surely the governing perspective. 😉

Slowpoke

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • The thread ‘Swiss etiquette – what not to do/do in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.