What to do after arrival in Wengen around 2pm

• Brnyrdsue
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 August 2022 at 19:48:18 #828107

My husband, adult son and I will be flying from California USA to Zurich at the end of August and taking transportation to Wengen, arriving in Wengen around 2pm. We’ll stay there for 3 nights before heading inward to Zermatt. Any ideas about what we might be able to do with the rest of our day? We need to get checked in and settled at our apartment and plan to walk around town and eat dinner. Do you think that it would be too ambitious to plan anything more for that day? We’ll probably be tired at that point, but not sure if we should attempt seeing Lauterbrunnen on our way, looking at Murren after arrival or explore Wengen.

Also, what time does it get dark in Wengen and Zermatt?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2022 at 20:09:16 #945722

Sunrise and sunset times (and more) worldwide can be found on dozens of sites by internet search,

I use:

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

Crabcooker
    Participant
    6 posts
    17 August 2022 at 11:50:22 #945723

If you have a travel pass that includes most of the gondola access/if cost is not a factor and the area is not fogged out, I would take the short gondola from Wengen to Mannlichen, where you can either admire the views from the gondola station area where there is a restaurant and amazing playground, or take the very short hike up on the Royal Walk.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2022 at 12:51:20 #945724

Hi Brnyrdsue,

are you taking the train from Zurich Airport to Wengen?

I am with Crabcooker, if you have a rail pass, that grants you free travel to Mürren and Wengen then you can visit both villages on your arrival day. Are you going to have a rail pass?

Probably you’ll be very tired. So if you ‘just” enjoy the atmosphere and have a great dinner, that is also perfect after a long journey.

For more activity tips please visit:

Ildiko

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    17 August 2022 at 14:29:10 #945725

If you are staying in an apartment you will want to spend time getting it stocked with breakfast (and maybe lunch) supplies as well as unpacking. That always seems to take us longer than I think (coming from CA as well), probably because we’re rather zombie-like at that point!

If you have rented through an agent in town most of them offer a service (for a fee) to shop for you and have the apartment already stocked so that might be an option.

Also, check in time for many apartments is 4:00 pm. If that’s the case with yours you could leave your bags with Left Luggage at Wengen station (or at agent’s office) then buzz up to Männlichen. The gondola runs every 20 minutes (at :10, :30, and :50) and takes 11 minutes. Or just stroll around the eye-popping Wengen village.

It takes about 45 minutes to get from Wengen to Mürren so you may not want to add 1.5 hours of transport time (as stunningly gorgeous as it is) onto an already full transport schedule on your arrival day.

• The thread ‘What to do after arrival in Wengen around 2pm’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.