What to do after 4 PM in St. Moritz and Lugano?

• Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    5 September 2018 at 1:36:15 #818228

Hello forum folks.

I am arriving late afternoon in St. Moritz, about 1600 hrs. on the Bernina Express. It is too late to go to Mt. Corvatsch, so I hope to do that in the early morning, before catching the Glacier express. What is good to do for the remainder of the day and/or evening? (This will be in September). Anyone out there have any good restaurants to recommend? What kind of sight-seeing is there to do in St. Moritz? Being this is September, I am not looking for skiing of any kind. Hiking, perhaps, if it isn’t too late to do so? Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, I am arriving the night before in Lugano, via the Gotthard express. Same question. I am hoping to be able to go up to Monte San Salvatore, then take a boat to Gandria for dinner and possibly walk back to town. Is it possible to do all this in an afternoon after arriving on the Gotthard express?

Thank you folks, and have a nice day.

Danielsan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 15:38:25 #895680

Hi Danielsan,

You shouldn’t have an issue in Lugano. The timetable will give you the details – the last trip down is at 18:00. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

St. Moritz, is a little trickier to get hiking etc at after 16:00. I haven’t been there myself so can’t give a personal recommendation. Have a look at these activities: http://www.myswissalps.com/st moritz/activities A few hikes will be possible and you can check the timetable to check on mountain transport.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 September 2018 at 15:53:22 #895681

Hi Danielsan,

Sunset is around 7:30 PM. Walking back from Gandria won’t be an option I think, timewise: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lugano-gandria. But there are buses and boats (see the timetable in the above post).

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    5 September 2018 at 17:23:01 #895682

Thanks fella’s I appreciate it.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2018 at 19:22:01 #895683

Hi Danirlsan,

I don’t think it is feasible to look for mountain trips or proper hikes after a 4 p.m. arrival in St. Moritz. However the train station is right by the lake so you could put your luggage in a locker and go for a walk all round the lake path while it is still light, collect your luggage and head for your hotel. If your hotel is in the town you should have a reasonable selection of places for dinner in the later evening. The walk is flat and pretty – I would suggest you go left as you reach the lake and go round clockwise.

Maggie

• The thread ‘What to do after 4 PM in St. Moritz and Lugano?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.