Activities with wheelchair in Switzerland in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 0:30:19 #810903

Hello! My family and I will be traveling to Switzerland on July 10-12, 2017. Can anyone recommend some activities for us to do? We have a son with special needs and uses a wheelchair (that we push for him, its not a full blown wheelchair, but more like an oversized stroller) I have a hotel booked in Engelberg because we were planning on going up to Mt. Titlis, but I was just informed that my son won’t be able to do any of the snow activities because he needed to ride the Ice Flyer to get there, and they said with his condition, he cannot =(

I can still cancel the hotel in Engelberg and book elsewhere, but now I’m stumped. Will it be better to book a hotel in Lucerne? What other activities should we do? We want to take advantage of the Alps and nature and relax. Should we take the golden pass train? Is the Swiss Family Pass worth it?

Any recommendation is worth it! TIA!

By the way, aside from my son who is disabled, we also have a very active 4yr old. Something fun for her to do and our son. =)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 9:59:53 #859362

Hi Webetrippin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think Luzern (local German spelling) would be a great base for 3 nights to see the nearby mountains and attractions. Click here to see what activities are near to Luzern. Other than Mt. Titlis, there is Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi – both excellent options.

Another option would be Interlaken in the Bernese Oberland region which also has a lot to offer.

From either town you can take the Golden Pass train to Montreux which I think is a great panorama train experience. Montreux is also a beautiful town on Lake Geneva.

As for passes, the Swiss Family Card is definitely worth it. It is a free add on to the Swiss travel Pass if both parents have the STP – it allows children between 6 and 15 to travel for free (children under 5 are always free).

Once you have checked out the links above let us know what regions or activities you are interested in and we can try and give you more feedback.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 22:05:09 #859363

Thank you Lucas! I’ve been doing some research on different places too. I’m definitely purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass! Can you give me your input on these places? Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, and Grindelwald? My husband saw a picture of the waterfall in Lauterbrunnen and I looked at the surroundings and it looks beautiful! I also saw some activities at Grindelwald first? And would want to check out that place too. Do you think we can do these places in 1 day? Would staying in Wengen be better than Luzern? Also for the Golden pass, I see so many options for it, I’m overwhelmed a bit! Which one would be the best? Were planning on taking the golden pass train on our last day in Switzerland before we head out to Italy. I see a panoramic one, a vintage looking train, and other. Are these all the same? And can we take whichever with the STP? Thank you so much in advance! Im also planning 3 other countries to visit and Im stuck with Switzerland because theres seems to me so much to see and do!! 🙂

~May

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 7:30:33 #859364

Hi May,

Yes, there is a lot to see and do in this little country isn’t there? Well at least if you are into mountain scenery!

So Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are just minutes apart from each other located in one valley and Grindelwald is less than an hour away by train. The towns of Mürren, Wengen and Grindelwald are located at higher altitudes and offer somewhat wider views of the area but Lauterbrunnen does have those waterfalls!

Any activity near one town can be easily accessed from any of those villages – so I would pick based on the hotel or view you like more than anything else. We have a list of recommended hotels and activities under each towns information page that I linked as well.

Luzern (local German spelling) is a couple hours away from these villages so not as convenient to stay if you want to visit the Lauterbrunnen area. You can visit all these villages in one day; however you won’t have time to do much more than visit for an hour or so before moving on and I think it would be best to see one or two at the most.

The Golden Pass route starts in Luzern and ends in Montreux via Interlaken. You can start in Interlaken if you stay in Lauterbrunnen or nearby. There are newer ‘modern’ panoramic trains as well as classic ‘heritage’ panoramic trains that run this line – both are great (my wife and I went on a heritage train and thought it was very cool). Regional trains also go on the same route so there are indeed many options. Your Swiss Travel Pass covers all of them, except the optional seat reservation if you go on one of the two panoramic trains.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Activities with wheelchair in Switzerland in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.