What to do in Zermatt in June

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 5:09:31 #872930

>> By Schedule I was referring to the schedule of the cable cars and gondolas. I was thinking that perhaps the the summer schedule is published in the New Year. But perhaps that isn’t the case and it is pubished well in advance.

The timetable for all public transport in Switzerland is already set for the entire year 10 December 2017 to 8 December 2018, although there may be some minor adjustments made to the railway timetable in June.

Whenever there are major scheduling changes to be made, they usually don’t introduce them until the beginning of a new timetable period, i.e. the first Sunday in December each year. Train timetables also have to be coordinated across much of western and central Europe. What a headache that must be, even with the help of technology!

Winter closures and maintenance periods for cable cars, funiculars and mountain trains are also already finalised, and are generally around the same time each year. Winter closures tend to be from mid-October until late May. Maintenance periods are usually between April and June and again between October and December. The exact dates vary from place, and the length of closure varies from a day or two to around 6 weeks, depending on maintenance requirements.

Some websites for cable cars etc, publish operating dates and times for the whole year on their website. Others only publish timetables for the current season, which is a bit of a nuisance for people planning ahead. However, in most cases, the official timetable includes those details for the whole year.

If you aren’t able to find the information you need on the individual websites, ask here, and chances are that we can find the information for you.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 5:56:42 #872931

Thanks Alpenrose. I will go ahead and plan my itinerary and block hotels and reservations on the more popular panaromic trains. I will stay flexible on my plans at each specific location to cater for weather and other changes. Does that make sense??

i have a 2 week itinerary that is roughly as follows Zurich (2 nights) —> Wengen (3 nights) —-> Montreaux (3 nights)—-> Zermatt(2 nights)—>St. Moritz (1 night)—-> Lugano (2nights)—-> Lucerne (2nights) —> Zurich,

Gooch

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 December 2017 at 8:34:20 #872932

Hi Gooch,

You have selected some of the most beautiful places in Switzerland for your trip. Do keep in mind that one night doesn’t allow much sightseeing time, and even two nights is just one full day. Good weather during that one day is not guaranteed. Most of the areas on your list can easily keep you busy for a week or more. For example: I’ve stayed 2 to 3 weeks in the St. Moritz area multiple times. Never got bored 🙂 In any case, you will see a lot of the country!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 9:02:28 #872933

You are absolutely right Arno. It’s a struggle on deciding how to allocate the limited time of 2 weeks. You can never do justice to all locations. But I am hoping that with the current itinerary I atleast get a flavour of all the regions so that when I return again I know which regions I spend more time in.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 December 2017 at 11:55:19 #872934

Hi Gooch-

<<” But perhaps that isn’t the case and it is pubished well in advance.”>>

Typically, mid -December. It’s available.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 December 2017 at 15:09:16 #872935

Hi Gooch,

I completely understand. To get a taste of the country this plan will work fine. The only change you may want to consider is to spend only one night in Zurich and add it to St. Moritz. For a first impression, a couple of hours in the center of Zurich is enough.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2017 at 15:35:09 #872936

Arno, the only reason I have 2 days in Zurich is because i have a day trip to Appenzell planned on day 2. I could consider dropping that and adding it to St. Moritz.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 December 2017 at 16:06:43 #872937

I see 🙂 Choices, choices… I can’t help with that decision as I haven’t been to Appenzell. Your trip will for sure be a good one!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 December 2017 at 16:08:17 #872938

Hi Gooch-

You are trying for a sample of Swiss regions, I believe. I’d stick with Appenzell. It is a very different part of Switzerland from the other places that you are visiting. All of the area near Lake Konstanz ( The Bodensee) has a common cultural resemblance in Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

On the other hand, St. Moritz has some similarity to the other high Alpine regions.

The Abbey library at St. Gall is a UNESCO world heritage site,and worth the trip.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Abbey_library_of_Saint _Gall

http://www.google.com/search?q=abbey+library+at+St. +Gall&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sourc e=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKE wjn1tPP_p3YAhVB4oMKHaC qCb4QsAQIUw&biw=1433&b ih=836

Hmmnnn- the cellar will be closed while you are there:

http://www.stibi.ch/en-us/info/openinghours.a spx

However, that is not the part that is the key attraction – library hall is what you go to see. That will be closed in part of November, however.

St Gall’s old town is really nice. When I am any where near the Ostschweiz (Eastern Switzerland) I make a special effort to visit the old town and have lunch at a small, intensely Swiss, not very touristy restaurant in the old town. 500 years old. One floor up from street level.

Weinstbe zum Baümli.

http://www.weinstube-baeumli.ch/

You could easily see enough of both St. Gall and Appenzell in a day to do them justice.

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 December 2017 at 16:10:54 #872939

Good insights Slowpoke, makes sense.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 9:42:46 #872940

When making reservations on the panoramic trains how do you tell the direction of the coach. I would like to follow where possible the advise on the side having a better view. But for that I need to know the orientation of the coach on the website when making the reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2017 at 17:41:26 #872941

Hi Gooch,

It depends on which panoramic train – some like the Glacier Express you won’t know unfortunately, while others, like the Golden Pass reservation page here will show you. I don’t think you will go wrong with any seat though!

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The thread ‘What to do in Zermatt in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.